[comp.unix.microport] Bell Tech and Tape Backup

rcb@nud.UUCP (Dick Busch) (10/14/88)

I have a 386 system with Bell Tech *nix running on it.
It seems to be OK so far....except as every one who has
been following the news here knows (or at least as far
as I under stand) if you want tape backup in under Bell
Tech *nix you MUST buy hardware from Bell Tech even if
you already own the exact same hardware (wangtek drive
and Wangtek QIC-36 internal controller). Because Wangtek
(Everex) tape controller boards From other places do
not contain the Now famous secret Bell Tech custom rom.

The question this perspiring mind wants to know...has any
one tried obtaining drivers from Interactive or SCO or using
Emerald (brand) tape equipment and there XENIX driver
with Bell Tech *nix.  Or has any one figured out a patch to
Bell Tech's driver so it will use the standard firmware...
(pant).......or anything to get a standard cartridge tape to
Work with "The *nix that launched a thousand flames":).

I must add, so far, considering price etc. Bell Tech *nix is
a pretty good deal, I do however, long for tape and a K shell.

Thank you in advance
Dick Busch (rcb)

noao!asuvax!nud!rcb

Disclaimer: The above are my opinions and questions - caution
		they could be wrong!

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (10/16/88)

In article <1309@nud.UUCP> rcb@nud.UUCP (Dick Busch) writes:

>The question this perspiring mind wants to know...has any
>one tried obtaining drivers from Interactive or SCO or using
>Emerald (brand) tape equipment and there XENIX driver
>with Bell Tech *nix.  Or has any one figured out a patch to
>Bell Tech's driver so it will use the standard firmware...
>(pant).......or anything to get a standard cartridge tape to
>Work with "The *nix that launched a thousand flames":).

I haven't had experience with this stupid Bell Tech ROM
problem, but I can tell you that Microport's Unix tape
driver, and the built-in tape driver that comes with Release
3.1 from AT&T will work with either the stock Everex 831
controller OR the Everex controller with the Bell Tech Rom.

>I must add, so far, considering price etc. Bell Tech *nix is
>a pretty good deal, I do however, long for tape and a K shell.

If you can find a commercially available ksh for Microport, go
ahead and buy it with the knowledge that at least as far as
ksh (and lots of other binaries go), stuff that works on uport
will work on Bell Tech unix will work on Interactive unix will
work on Release 3.1.

Good luck in your search.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the