[comp.unix.microport] Mylex motherboards

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/19/88)

In article <7076@icdi10.uucp> fr@icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>Just to correct a minor point. Mylex manufactures a board based upon a design
>licensed from AMI (American Megatrends International). AMI started doing BIOS
>design and graduated to board design. The have now added their own MARK II
>board that is not licensed by anybody else. It's a 25MhZ 0 wait hummer with up
>to 8MB on the mother. We use it and like it.
>
>PS The Mylex board (AMI) appears in numerous clones. Look for the AMI bios
>chip.

Just to correct a minor point. :)

Current Mylex motherboards come with BIOS EPROMs labeled "Mylex" not "AMI".
It still says AMI in the onscreen copyright.

The latest Mylex motherboards also come using the Dallas Semiconductor
replacement for the Motorola RTC, the one with battery and crystal all on
board. No need for external batteries and a power supply with a clean
power OK signal. A side benefit is that Dallas seems to trim their clocks
to turn out a pretty accurate time keeper.

Mylex claims they will shortly be shipping a new motherboard with 25MHz clock
and 128K SRAM cache. They seemed to think this board was 100% faster than
the 20MHz board, something to do with the bigger cache and some "tuning".
(The PCTech benchmarks indicate the 20MHz board inserts a considerable
number of wait states in certain buss operations...)

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty