[comp.unix.microport] Bell Tech W.G.E. use with "sissy" unix

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/01/88)

Well, it seems I am no alone in my feelings that the W.G.E. and Microport's
System V/386 make a great combo (the E-Mail runneth over.)

Microport's unix may be for the whimps who demand support from their unix
vendor, but with the trouble I've had with Bell Tech on software issues I'll
gladly be classified as a whimp at this point. :)

First step to happiness with the W.G.E. under Microport:

Sanity check, can you even USE the W.G.E. card?

That isn't as silly as it sounds. The driver supplied for the card maps
the 82786's registers into memory so they can be accessed rapidly and
easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
nasty surprise!

And remember, Bell only sells it's software to people with the "Right Stuff".
The fact you are trying to use their card with Microport labels you a "whimp".
So you won't be getting any SOFTWARE support from them. (You should get
excellent HARDWARE support though, the hardware people at Bell don't seem to
care if you're a "whimp" or not. :) So if your system has a cache you'd best
think long and hard before laying out the long green for this card, once
you've seen that 19" tube it may be a tad painful to give it up for Bell's
cheerful refund.

If you are using the Mylex 386 motherboard there is a solution for it at least.
Call Mylex at (800) 446-9539 and ask for sales. Be prepared to call back
several times as their sales people can be hard to get hold of (ie they may
or may not call back depending on how snowed under they are that day.) What
you want is the Computone PAL. It costs $15. What this little gem does is
turn off the SRAM cache for the top 2 meg of memory. This allows the
Bell Tech driver to work properly. (If you can't get one from Mylex drop a
E-Mail to mylexpal@l5comp and we'll see if we have one hanging around, but
no promises.) [While you have 'em on the line you may want to ask them
what other PALs they have, for example they have an Adaptec ACB2322 "tune
up" PAL...]

If you aren't using the Mylex motherboard then you'd best consult with the
manufacturer of your motherboard and see if their cache caches accesses
above 14meg. If it does you're screwed unless they have some way of turning
caching off up there (unless you just want to turn caching off for ALL of
memory...) And once again remember, this is a SOFTWARE issue for Bell Tech
because to fix it will call for a patch to the driver not the hardware. Thus
their "Right Stuff Customer" policy is in full effect, so don't expect help
from them if you can't turn the cache off and you can't afford to buy another
motherboard.

Also, memory usage goes up quite a bit with all the software you are going
to be installing into the kernel. The /unix here is 696,438 bytes long!
(and size /unix returns a total memory usage of 893,284!) You WILL need
more memory if you don't already have 4 meg. If you have 4 meg you may want
more unless you are willing to patch Nbuf to something like 500 in order
to free up ram for running programs. The system here had only 1,852,000
bytes left of it's 4 meg until I patched Nbuf. The problem is that at
1660x1200 an 8 bit per pixel image takes 1,992,000 bytes and system performance
gets a bit sluggish if you don't have enough core. And no, the card can't
display 8 bits per pixel at 1660x1200 but the outbitmap program can dither
that size image and display it, and BOY do they look neat! (We've been scaling
GIF pictures to 1660x1200, but more on that at a later date)

Still looking OK? Well the X10R4 driver needs a mouse. It is hardwired to
use the asy driver. Even if you have a big fancy smart serial card with 16
ports on it you will have to plug a Logitech serial mouse into tty00. You
CAN modify the driver to use tty01, but that's it. mknod'ing /dev/tty00
to be something else won't do anything, the driver uses kernel (or is it
carnal) knowledge to get right at the asy driver. It doesn't give a hoot
for /dev/tty00.

If you have other plans for either serial port you're screwed. The supplied
driver doesn't use anything except a Logitech serial mouse, with three
buttons mind you, plugged into either serial port. Buss mice need not
apply.

And don't forget to order that mouse! It doesn't come with the card and X
windows is damn near useless without it. (X doesn't seem to have a "No
pointing device/use keyboard" setup option) You'll need the C7 version
of the Logitech serial mouse, costs around $86. Don't get that new 2
button, MUCH cheaper, mouse by mistake (or design, you'll want all three
buttons.) Don't forget a mouse pad, they extend the life of the little
teflon pads on the bottom of the mouse quite nicely.

Second step:

Call Bell Tech and DEMAND the same set of disks that were shipped to L5
Computing. The serial number off the disks here is: 1.2-042588. There are
10 disks that count and the DOS demo "frisbee" disk (for a total of 11 disks.)

Why not get the latest? Well, I've gotten several interesting mail messages
that seem to indicate Bell has been fooling around with the disks. Lord only
knows what they've done to them, the above disks contain software that I know
works with the Microport System V/386 2.2 and System V/386 3.0e and DOSMerge
386 1.1. If I can confirm that later versions of their software work I'll
post a message with all the details. (So far trying to get updates out of
Bell has been like trying to seperate them from their children)

Third step:

Get the X10R4 tape. The disks sent here by Bell Tech were not complete. Fonts
like vtsingle and timrom12 are missing (among a PILE of other fonts.) Tools
are missing as well, like the bitmap editor they show in their huge glossy
advertizing sheet. (They did send the stunning Nagel bitmap along though :)

Life with X10R4 got much easier since we now have ALL the dox as well, Bell
supplies tools with no dox on how they work with the above set of disks.

If you absolutely can't come up with X10R4 send an E-Mail to x10r4@l5comp
and perhaps we can work something out. If demand is great enough maybe we
can setup a disk/tape service to provide the bits at cost.

Fourth step:

Install all the '386 unix software that Microport sells. :)

Actually you can skip their Text Preparation package if you wish to use
something more useful like the ELAN stuff. But you WILL want an equ, tbl,
and nroff/troff so you can make human readable versions of the X documentation.
What little Bell supplies comes only in the unprocessed form.

If you plan to use DOSMerge make sure it is installed at this time as well.

And the NSE package is NOT optional. It MUST be installed before proceeding.

You must also install the link kit. And if you plan on providing yourself with
the missing X tools you will need the software development system.

And don't forget the order of installation:
	Runtime
	Software Development
	Text preparation
	Link Kit
	NSE
	DOSMerge 386

And don't forget to call Microport customer service and request the crypt
disk, but only if you're a site located in the good ol' U.S. of A. Dirty
aliens will have to write their own. :) I've found a useful X tool that
needs crypt access and you'll need this disk if you want to compile it as
well.

Once all of the above software is installed I'd suggest doing a sanity check.
Especially if your system is at all "Bleeding edge". I've found that if the
system is going to have a blow out and eat the hard drive it will do it
sometime within the first 4 days after installation. I strongly urge you to
make sure your unix is running fine for at least 4 days before proceeding
if you have ESDI and/or DOSMerge 386. And don't just let it sit there, use it.
I suggest compiling GNU Emacs, this seems to bring out any beasties faster
than anything else we've tried. And has the side advantage of installing a
great editor. (Which has nice X support unlike vi)

Fifth step:

NOTE: Do not skip step three, without the fonts vtsingle and timrom12 the X10R4
will NOT work as advertized in the Intro to X manual. If you're REAL impatient
to get underway send a mail message to xfonts@l5comp and someone here will
send you the missing font files via return E-Mail free of charge.

If you have the disks we got then you can follow the instructions on the label
and use the sysadm program, NOT pkginstall(!), to install the X window software.

WARNING: If you DO NOT have the exact disks we received you may DAMAGE your
link kit! If you aren't sure then make a quick backup of your link kit as
follows:

(as super user do the following:)

mkdir /etc/saveconf
cd /etc/atconf
find . -print | cpio -pdmau /etc/saveconf

Next edit the file /etc/atconf/systems/system.std and make the following
changes to it:

Change the line

		cpyrt	* Copyright notice "drive"r

		cpyrt,	* Copyright notice "drive"r

and add the following right after that line:

*
* Manticore, Inc. X5 drivers

		xptc,	* Control side of X5 pseudo tty driver
		xpts,	* Slave side of X5 pseudo tty driver
		btb,	* Bell Tech Blit Express driver
		btbs,	* Bell Tech Blit Express streams driver
		conx	* X5 console driver

At the very end of the file add the following:

*
* Manticore, Inc. X5 driver defines

NBLK4 = 100
NBLK16 = 100
NBLK64 = 100
NQUEUE = 196
NSTREAM = 64

Then type mkunix and sit back for awhile.

Once the new unix is built SAVE YOUR OLD /unix! (My personal favorite method
is ln /unix /unixnox and I also keep a /unixx around so I can take my pick
at bootup)

Then install the new unix as /unix. If you don't like those nasty messages
during shutdown then install the new unix as /unixx, shutdown -g1, and
enter /unixx during boot up, once booted ln /unixx /unix.

Now, unpack that X10R4 and copy the fonts vtsingle and all the timrom fonts
into /usr/new/lib/X/font.

Next cd /usr/new/bestofimages and issue sh ./unpack.sh.

Next edit the script file that sets your PATH environment variable. (For
sh users this will be .profile for csh .cshrc) Add /usr/new into your path
right after /usr/bin.

Now would be a GREAT time to pop a DC600A into yer Everex and make a backup.
I only say that because it's the right thing to say, not because I did. ;)

Sixth step:

Drink something you like, 2 liter bottle of classic Coke for example. We're
about to enter the "Dave, don't you think we should talk about this" zone.
An error in this next step and you can screw yourself and but good.

Shutdown your system (cd /;shutdown -g1) and break out the screwdriver.

If you have a Mylex 386 now is the time to put the Computone PAL in. Locate
the BIOS EPROMs, then scan right, in between the rightmost slot and the
next to the rightmost slot you will find the PAL to be replaced. You may
need to remove cards to do this, if so do it! Don't try and do it without
removing the cards, if you screw that PAL up you're going to be kicking
yourself because that 19" monitor is going to be sittin' there lookin' at
you and you'll be thinkin' "Gee, just how BIG will the pictures be?!!?"

We've had two W.G.E. cards through here so far. Both of them generate heat
like a hot plate. It's all those fast PALs and ECL chips. I suggest you
carefully consider which slot you put this card into. Putting it into a
slot that has a half card to the right (like maybe a half slot Hercules
clone monitor card :) is a win. Putting an auxillary fan in the case in
front of the card isn't a bad idea either. :) If you think I'm kidding, just
remember that the video clock rate on this sucker in 160MHz! And the cooler
you keep chips the longer they last. And just so you know HOW hot this thing
gets, the ones here have been capable of heating up boards two slots away
when the fan isn't running...

I heartily suggest you check the board after it's been running for a day to
see that it isn't getting too hot.

Once installed put everything back together and plug in that huge monitor.

Power sequencing isn't important if you selected the onboard -5v option
(factory default), otherwise you will need to turn the monitor on first.

Turn the system on. If you have a later model W.G.E. with the onboard EPROMs
you should see the monitor turn on and start displaying stuff shortly. Most
BIOS' write directly to the screen so don't panic if some text shows up on
the little screen and not on the big one.

In any case you pretty much ignore the big monitor for now. Boot up the new
unix (/unix or /unixx depending on what you did) and login. Gather everyone
around and type xinit.

Almost instantly you should see the screen be covered with a large grey box.
It should be roughly 1" in from the edges of the monitor on all 4 sides.

Depending on how powerful you system is it may take a few seconds for the
mouse cursor to appear and a window to pop up.

If on the other hand xinit dies after a few seconds and complains that the
card wasn't ready then you need to recheck whatever it was you did to
turn the cache off.

If xinit runs without stopping, but all you see on the monitor is a single
line, with every other pixel turned on, running down the righthand side of
the screen. Your card is dead, call Bell for hardware support. They'll connect
you with a person that will ask you for your customer number, card serial
number, and will take down the symptoms. She will then schedule a tech to
call you back, or she may call you back later to just plain ol' issue you an
RMA number if the tech is confident the card is screwed without needing to
talk to you. The one time we've had to return the card we shipped it down
UPS Red and they shipped another card back out the same day they got it in
via Federal Express Standard Delivery (2 day service.) They were quick,
pleasant, and no-nonsense. Dealing with the hardware arm of Bell Tech has
been MUCH more fun than the software arm.

If you managed to get vtsingle and timrom12 you should now be able to type
uwm& and get a beep rather than an error message.

Next, go have fun with the demos! Be warned that some of the demos listed in
the Intro to X manual are NOT supplied. For example the parrot, whatever it
is, isn't supplied and I haven't run across it in the X10R4 tape either.
(So don't drop an E-Mail to parrot@l5comp asking for it ;)

Seventh step:

At this point pat yourself on the back and have fun with X10R4 until X11 is
released by Bell Tech.

Pray that getting the X11 update is easier than trying to get an X10R4
update (I've been trying for over a MONTH now and still haven't gotten
their latest X10 hence why I can't say yes/no about their latest code
working under Microport.)

You will find that the stock X10R4 makefiles need updating to work under
Bell's X10R4. Whenever you link you will need to add -lnsl_s to get the
streams library added in. Currently they don't have an x_s which is a shame
since just about anything needing to use X will thus be over 100K long
in final size due to the size of the X library.

A project for the use of that X10R4 source code you say? I'd agree but with
X11 promised any day now it seems silly to make a shared X10 library at this
point. Let's just hope they supply a shared X11 lib.

Well that's it for now. If the above steps give you the W.G.E. running under
Microport then great! I think you'll grow to love this card. If things still
aren't humming then you haven't followed my directions EXACTLY enough. I
do have the W.G.E. running X10R4 under Microport so it can be done. I think
the trickest step is in getting Bell Tech to part with the same set of disks
as they sent here. If you get link errors while building the unix, and you
followed the instructions on making a system.std, then this is your most
likely problem. Can we send you copies of the disks here? You'll have to
bug Bell about that not us. If Bell calls me and says it's OK to send a copy
of the disks to someone then we'll be happy to do so. But I run a tight shop
here and there will be NO Bell Tech code leaving here without Bell's say-so.

One note to DOSMerge 386 users, the DOSMerge here doesn't seem to like running
in xterm windows with more than 25 lines. Be careful because it gets so
tangled up you have to kill the xterm in order to recover, <esc> ctrl-K
hasn't worked here as a recovery (which I find HIGHLY interesting.) Also, there
is NO support for Herc, CGA, or EGA emulation (another reason to keep the
"Twin Head" configuration.)

Also, we are NOT a retail outlet for Bell Tech. If you want to buy the card
call Bell Tech. Currently I can't get a straight answer out of them about
dealer pricing, and even if I could we're into chasing vertical markets not
retail customers.

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

"We need more machine guns, we can't run the mines without them."
	-Anonymous american mine owner, 1918

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (10/04/88)

In article <438@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:

>Sanity check, can you even USE the W.G.E. card?
>
>That isn't as silly as it sounds. The driver supplied for the card maps
>the 82786's registers into memory so they can be accessed rapidly and
>easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
>nasty surprise!
I have a Xenix system and now that streams is available for it I was
going to get the WGE card.  I have an Intel Inboard/386 with a cache.
Since it has a mixture of 16 and 32 bit memory, it would be very slow
without the cache.  Does this mean that I am doomed to no cache if I
want to use the WGE?  Bell Tech, do you have anything to say on this
point?  Also when are we going to see X11 for this board?
--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (10/05/88)

In article <428@eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry@eecea.eece.ksu (Terry Hull) writes:
> In article <438@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> >Sanity check, can you even USE the W.G.E. card?
> >
> >That isn't as silly as it sounds. The driver supplied for the card maps
> >the 82786's registers into memory so they can be accessed rapidly and
> >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
> >nasty surprise!

I have used machines with several caching schemes (Intel chips and Everex
proprietary) and they always cache only memory they known about:  main mother
board memory.  If a device has a memory map in the AT bus structure *it* must
provide the dual port as there is no bus sharing per se in the AT bus.
Therefore, the WGE has dedicated space in the device memory range, 0xc0000->
0xdffff nearby the other major device memory:  your graphics memory space.

No caching is done of these areas or no polling IO would ever succeed.
(I'm pretty sure it does.  :-) DOS is no different from UNIX in this regard.)

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

ipc@drexel.UUCP (Image Processing Center) (10/09/88)

In article <428@eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> In article <438@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> >
> >Sanity check, can you even USE the W.G.E. card?
> >
> >That isn't as silly as it sounds. The driver supplied for the card maps
> >the 82786's registers into memory so they can be accessed rapidly and
> >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
> >nasty surprise!
Terry Hull writes

> I have a Xenix system and now that streams is available for it I was
> going to get the WGE card.  I have an Intel Inboard/386 with a cache.
> Since it has a mixture of 16 and 32 bit memory, it would be very slow
> without the cache.  Does this mean that I am doomed to no cache if I
> want to use the WGE?
> --
There should be absolutely no problem with the INBOARD, since the INBOARD
the ideal arrangement: The ending address for caching is set by switches
on the card. Typically, one sets them for the end of physical memory,
while dual ported and memory mapped registers are addressed above this.
I have checked this point out with INTEL technical support: the INBOARD
is completely compatible with cards like the W.G.E. because the cache
does not function above the end address.

Please post your results Terry - I'd realy like to know if you get
X up on XENIX. Are they offering V11 yet?

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/09/88)

In article <554@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>In article <428@eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry@eecea.eece.ksu (Terry Hull) writes:
>> In article <438@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>> >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
                                                    ^^^ Please note!
>> >nasty surprise!
>
>I have used machines with several caching schemes (Intel chips and Everex
>proprietary) and they always cache only memory they known about:  main mother
>board memory.  If a device has a memory map in the AT bus structure *it* must

Well I'm glad at least a few companies are on the ball. It did cross my mind
that it would have been smarter for Mylex to only cache ram that the BIOS
POST found during startup, but alas the cacheable memory size in the Mylex
design is cast into a PAL.

If Mylex designed their cache in this fashion so can others. And then again
others can get it right. Hence the phrase "may be in" in my warning. Rather
than something more concrete like "We're all screwed, run for the hills!" ;)

I will also note that Bell gave me no such warning about caches. I am trying
to save others from a nasty surprise.

>No caching is done of these areas or no polling IO would ever succeed.
>(I'm pretty sure it does.  :-) DOS is no different from UNIX in this regard.)

Are you confirming that the Everex boards, and those based on the Intel cache
controller, do work with the WGE right out of the box? (Your posting was a
little hard for me to understand.)

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/09/88)

My posting has generated a small wave of E-mail, a couple phone calls, and
a diskette mailer.

First for the non-Bell generated E-Mail and all the phone calls (Bell hasn't
called to my knowledge.)

There are alot of people out there that are a bit frustrated with Bell over
Bell's support of the W.G.E. Two people related how Bell tech support people
would hang up on them at the mention of the M-word. (I'll say it again guys
and gals, don't tell 'em you're "whimps" when you call!) My favorite tech
support person, Jennifer "Our driver gets confused by onboard EPROMs", seems
to NOT be the person to talk to if you are a card toting "whimp" and need help.

But there may be a pile of WGE users out there that like Bell's support and
send Jennifer roses. If so I've heard from none of them. I can only report
on what I am told, and insert this disclaimer in the hopes that there are
happy users or singers of praise for Jennifer.

As it stands I have yet to talk to a totally happy Bell WGE customer. I have
great hopes of talking to one someday though. :)

On to more pleasant items...

While Jennifer has done nothing to make me send her roses (unless they're
the gag stem-only variety with a note reading "Rose petals sometimes confuse
flower delivery personel" ;), there is at least one Bell person who seems to
know his/her stuff.

I'd love to heap praise on this person in public, but s/he is net-shy and
requested I not use their name in public postings. (This person is however
most assuredly *NOT* Jennifer)

I'll thus call this person Deep-X in all my net postings.

Pearls of wisdom from Deep-X:

1. X10R4 driver source IS available from Bell. Call your sales person and
have a cashier's check for $10,000 ready.

My thoughts on the $10,000 price tag:

Seeing how simple X10R4 ddx is, and how cheap programmers are ("Send more
machine guns, we can't manage the programmers without them"), it would seem
less expensive to just write your own X10R4 ddx. (In all seriousness, it
looks like a 1 or 2 man month project at most for X10R4. $5K tops, and you
get "free" training of a person to support/upgrade it)

2. X11R? ddx source will probably NOT be generally available.

3. The mouse is dedicated to being on either tty00 or tty01 because the
mouse drive takes over driving the 16450 serial chip!

I guess Bell couldn't get the stock asy driver to work reliably either. ;)

4. The mouse pointer flickers during scrolling because the X10R4 driver
doesn't use the built in hardware bitmap cursor. The 82786 only supports
16x16 bitmaps for the cursor.

It must have been too much trouble to make the driver use the hardware method
for 16x16 bitmaps and bitblt for larger ones, sigh. (One more reason to write
yer own ddx if you care about flickering mouse pointers)

As for the diskettes in the mail...

As I reported on the net, Bell promised to send me a SysVr3.1 upgrade since
it would fix 1. 62 defect limit problem and 2. Include a complete X10R4. But
alas the update came with only the base SysVr3.1, no X.

Well, in Friday's mail they took another stab at it.

Now we have the promised SysVr3.1 X disks, but only two of them! And to
add to the humor of it, this time we only get fonts. Well not quite, a few
other files slipped out the door on these two disks as well. Several programs
we didn't receive before and some more online dox. None of the new pix
Dimitri was hinting at made it either. (Deep-X claims there have been no
updates to the X10R4, but these two disks seem to prove this otherwise 100%
accurate source of information wrong on this topic...)

I'll give them an 'A+' for effort, but I'm afraid a somewhat lower score
for the missing disks. Or maybe the updates are done on a "Double Randomly
Selected Update Disks of the Week Club" basis. In which case I'll give them
an A+ across the board at this point. ;)

The new programs were QUITE useful and we were happy to get them, now if we
can just get the rest of the goods...

When will Bell do something I can be totally happy about? I'm really so damn
close at this point, just something like 8 X10R4 X disks and I'll be happy.
Or maybe they'll meet their promised ship date for X11 and I won't give a
hoot about 8 missing X10R4 disks. (All my other problems have an easy
answer, just get a custom X10R4 ddx...)

On the online System V 386 manual pages that Dimitri announced...

I haven't heard a peep. My offers of money have gone unanswered, mayhaps
they don't have these precious rarities in stock after all? If any vendor
out there has them, and is willing to part with them for under $200, please
drop me an E-Mail. I'll have a cashier's check out to you so fast the ink
won't be dry when you get it. (so be careful when you get it :)

Back to the WGE for the closing.

My words of wisdom for this week for all those unhappy WGE customers out there:
Keep the faith, X11 is supposed to be released next week. Of course that's
based on information from Bell Sales, not Deep-X, but it's a cheery thought
anyway. Hopefully all the confusion of the X10R4 release will be cured by X11.

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (10/10/88)

In article <771@drexel.UUCP> you write:
>Terry Hull writes
>

>> [Stuff about my system deleted]
>> --
>There should be absolutely no problem with the INBOARD, since the INBOARD
>the ideal arrangement: The ending address for caching is set by switches
>on the card. Typically, one sets them for the end of physical memory,
>while dual ported and memory mapped registers are addressed above this.
>I have checked this point out with INTEL technical support: the INBOARD
>is completely compatible with cards like the W.G.E. because the cache
>does not function above the end address.
>
>Please post your results Terry - I'd realy like to know if you get
>X up on XENIX. Are they offering V11 yet?

Now I am really confused.  I talked to Christine Burr at Bell Tech
last Thursday and she told me that the WGE would absolutely NOT work
with the Inboard.  Is there some other problem with the Inboard that
causes it not to work with the WGE?  Did Christine just hear the word
"cache" and say "Oops, this will not work?"

Unfortunately, I am doing this on my personal computer budget, and
purchasing a $995 card from Bell Tech along with a $500 monitor and
having the thing not work would not be acceptable.  While I think I
could get my money back from Bell Tech, I'm sure the company that I
bought the monitor from would not feel the same way.

I will be more than happy to post my results to the net when (if) I
get X running on XENIX.  Unfortunately, it may be a while.  The
upgrades to 2.3.0 are still not shipping from SCO, and that will be
required before I can try.

--

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/11/88)

In article <283@belltec.UUCP>, dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
| The cache problem is common to almost all intelligent boards (multiport, etc)
| in use on AT bus machines.  It's a special problem with display adaptors
| with large display memory spaces because performance requirements force you
| to map the card's memory somewhere into the AT map.  Traditionally, one
| chooses the upper part of AT memory under the (fair) assumption that it is
| not populated with a full 16MB of RAM.
|
| The problem is that most cache equipped '386 boxes are designed by DOS houses
| and have caches that are only turned off in the 640 to 1024K area used by
| common DOS boards.  The sensible thing to do (in a box designed for UNIX use
| as well as DOS) is to have some means of disabling the cache for accesses
| within a given range or above a given address.  Many of the higher performance
| '386 cache boxes now have that capability.  Other companies (for example Dell)
| will send you a special PAL that enables cache for a range less than the full
| 16 MB address space.

A couple of questions about the WGE/Blit card:

Do you know if the cache on the Everex Step models or the ALR FlexCache
models can be disabled above 14 Meg to work with the WGE?  Users with an
eye on performance will want to know this.

How much real memory is needed (when using the current X10R4 code) to
keep the system from paging like mad.  I.e., the system should be able
to run a couple of csh's or vi's without paging during program
execution.

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes

         "How do you make the boat go when there's no wind?"
                                 -- Me --

rjg@ruby.TEK.COM (Richard J. Greco) (10/12/88)

In article  <446@l5comp.UUCP>, scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner)
writes:

>Pearls of wisdom from Deep-X:
>
>1. X10R4 driver source IS available from Bell. Call your sales person and
>have a cashier's check for $10,000 ready.

Actually Bell Technologies did not do the port to the WGE card, this
was done by Manticore Inc who owns the source code and as liscenced it
to Bell Technologies.  The $10,000 price tag is probably Manticore's
and not Bell's since this is the pricing I recieved from Manticore.

>My thoughts on the $10,000 price tag:

>Seeing how simple X10R4 ddx is, and how cheap programmers are ("Send more
>machine guns, we can't manage the programmers without them"), it would seem
>less expensive to just write your own X10R4 ddx. (In all seriousness, it
>looks like a 1 or 2 man month project at most for X10R4. $5K tops, and you
>get "free" training of a person to support/upgrade it)

I think you are underestimating the difficulty of duplicating
Manticore's driver.  If you do not do the client to server
communication in exactly the same way, you loose all of the clients.
The second difficulty here is what you need to duplicate are the
routines in the kernel.  The user side X process is device
independent.  It would be extremely difficult to decode the data
stream between the kernel and user sides of the kernel without knowing
how it is being done.

[stuff deleted]

>4. The mouse pointer flickers during scrolling because the X10R4 driver
>doesn't use the built in hardware bitmap cursor. The 82786 only supports
>16x16 bitmaps for the cursor.

The real reason for not using the native 82786 cursor is that it is
XOR only.  Have you ever seen an XOR cursor move across a dither
pattern (such as the one X uses for the background of the root
window)?  It is very easy to loose the cursor in a dither pattern.  I
can live with the flicker on a cursor I can see.  I find playing hunt
for the cursor very aggrivating.

Just an aside, I am not a completely happy Bell Tech Customer either.
We have managed to solve most of our problems ourselves out of
necessity.  All that happens with their technical support is they
record my phone number and promise that someone will call me back.  I
have yet to receive a return call from technical support.  My
salesperson has been the only person at Bell who has actually given me
after the sale service.

--
Richard J. Greco
rjg@ruby.TEK.COM                   {hplabs|uw-beaver|decvax}!tektronix!ruby!rjg

"Nonsense!  You're only saying that because no one ever has."

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (10/12/88)

In article <283@belltec.UUCP>, dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) wrote:

> The sensible thing to do (in a box designed for UNIX use as well as
> DOS) is to have some means of disabling the cache for accesses within
> a given range or above a given address.  Many of the higher
> performance '386 cache boxes now have that capability.  Other
> companies (for example Dell) will send you a special PAL that enables
> cache for a range less than the full 16 MB address space.

On the System 310 and the System 325 (announced in Canada a week or
two ago), one may prevent caching by accessing the address space with
the high order bit set in the address.  In other words, instead of
accessing 0x123456, access 0x80123456.  You get the same mapping onto
the peripheral bus but no caching.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789        9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/12/88)

In article <432@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea..eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>Now I am really confused.  I talked to Christine Burr at Bell Tech
>last Thursday and she told me that the WGE would absolutely NOT work
>with the Inboard.  Is there some other problem with the Inboard that
>causes it not to work with the WGE?  Did Christine just hear the word
>"cache" and say "Oops, this will not work?"

I know this may seem like a silly point to raise, but the WGE will not work
with the Inboard PC since the WGE is a 16 bit card...

I'm sure you're using the AT version but I thought I'd bring this point up
just to make sure no one in netland gets confused. (You'll note your posting
says "Inboard" only, no indication of PC or AT model)

fr@icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) (10/12/88)

In article <445@l5comp.UUCP>, scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
< In article <554@micropen< dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
< >In article <428@eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry@eecea.eece.ksu (Terry Hull) writes:
< >< In article <438@l5comp.UUCP< scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
< >< >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
<                                                     ^^^ Please note!
<
< If Mylex designed their cache in this fashion so can others. And then again

Just to correct a minor point. Mylex manufactures a board based upon a design
licensed from AMI (American Megatrends International). AMI started doing BIOS
design and graduated to board design. The have now added their own MARK II
board that is not licensed by anybody else. It's a 25MhZ 0 wait hummer with up
to 8MB on the mother. We use it and like it.

PS The Mylex board (AMI) appears in numerous clones. Look for the AMI bios
chip.
--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.             or ...{bellcore,rutgers,cbmvax}!bpa!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (10/13/88)

In article <224@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:

>       [Question deleted]
>
>How much real memory is needed (when using the current X10R4 code) to
>keep the system from paging like mad.  I.e., the system should be able
>to run a couple of csh's or vi's without paging during program
>execution.

I have been told by a Bell Tech sales person that the system will run
with 3 Mb of memory.  They also said that the system would be paging
quite a bit during "normal" operations.  4 Mb was recomended as being
much more satisfactory.

Several months ago, I spoke with an AT&T employee who was working on
their X11 port, and he said 4 MB was te minimum amount of memory he
conidered usable.

Disclaimer: I am not currently a Bell Tech 10.4 user.  I have XENIX
and am waiting for my copy of 2.3 and Streams.
--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University
INTERNET: terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu          Manhattan, KS  66502
UUCP: {pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!eecea!terry

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/14/88)

Latest news from Bell... Brace yerselves...

Nope, it isn't here yet. X11 is yet another "60 days" away, at least for the
AT&T port. ISC is said to have a version for the WGE but no word from Bell
about when it might be available.

An alpha test of the X11 should show at UnixExpo, perhaps with other vaporous
creatures such as the Color WGE (capable of 1280x1024x8, 1024x1024x8,
1024x720x8 one card fits all monitor budgets. :) But here again there were
no promises, and absolutely NO promises about ship dates for the Color WGE.

Bell's version of NFS is yet another 30 days away now. (Microport has been
a tad wishy washy on their NFS dates as well.)

The only "firm" words were about Sys5r3.2. My sales person seemed pretty
convinced it would be out by Halloween. However, he claimed that AT&T
expects everyone to "buy it again" if they wish to upgrade from Sys5r3.0...
No upgrade deals.

Other WGE issues straight from the mailbag...

How the hell do you spawn a login xterm from init? I thought this question had
an easy answer when it first showed in my E-Mail box. I mean I've seen Sun's
do this no problem, you just reached into /etc/ttys and ooopss! Yeah, no damn
/etc/ttys! So now what do we do? Well, it looked like xterm had the answer
after all, there's this -L command line switch which tells it both that it's
a login xterm and which pty to use.

So off to /etc/inittab to insert:
x0:23:respawn:/usr/new/xterm =80x25 unix:0 -L ttyvf

Probings so far seem to indicate that the Bell supplied xterm doesn't grok
the -L option. You get a usage report when you attempt to fire up xterm
directly and feed it -L.

Without support for -L there is nothing we can come up with for spawning a
login xterm. Anyone out there got any ideas? Bell's Tech support doesn't have
any answers, even for their own unix.

There was a question in the mail bag asking what an "Adaptec tune-up PAL" was
for the Mylex motherboard. Well youse pay $15 and youse get another 20Kb per
second throughput with the ACB2322 ESDI controller. At least that's what
happened here, your mileage may vary. But we get 492Kb per second here (out
of the promised 1Mb per second, and yes, it's formatted 1:1) and we got 472Kb
per second before the upgrade.

A note to all my self appointed fire extinguishers out there:

Go read the postings before sending me any more mail. I'm tired of people
wanting me to do their research for them on the topic of the "Sandy Wars".
To summarize my position on this whole mess in one sentence: I'm not anti-bbs
or anti-download restrictions, I just think the man should have stated things
a little more clearly in his public announcement of TeX being available on
his system.

The flame war was wasn't entirely negative as some have suggested. As a result
of the battle uunet may get one more customer, Sandy may get two more BBS users,
and I got the E-Mail address to send requests to if I find something missing
on uunet that I want. And that's just what has hit my mail box, who knows what
has hit Sandy's.

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

Unix vendor "fan" quotes from my mailbag:

"If God had meant for man to buy Bell Tech unix we would have all been born
Unix gurus."
	-Name withheld by request

"Congratulations on getting something out of Microport at all."
	-John Willis

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (10/14/88)

> A couple of questions about the WGE/Blit card:
> Do you know if the cache on the Everex Step models or the ALR FlexCache
> models can be disabled above 14 Meg to work with the WGE?  Users with an
> eye on performance will want to know this.

	I don't know, but Everex or ALR should be able to answer the question.

> How much real memory is needed (when using the current X10R4 code) to
> keep the system from paging like mad.  I.e., the system should be able
> to run a couple of csh's or vi's without paging during program
> execution.

	I run my machine with 4 MB and no problems.   The machine has
	a Blit on it for me and four terminals for other users on one of
	our ACE cards plus an HP Laserjet.  We routinely run 2 or 3 users
	running Elan eroff, Tigera Word:Era, X and lots of other stuff
	simultaneously with no problems.  Of course, things slow down
	when the 'roff engine cranks.

	You really need more than 2 MB for most uses, and that means
	with most machines that you get to go to 4 MB as the next step.

- Dimitri Rotow

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (10/15/88)

In article <224@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:

>A couple of questions about the WGE/Blit card:
>
>Do you know if the cache on the Everex Step models or the ALR FlexCache
>models can be disabled above 14 Meg to work with the WGE?  Users with an
>eye on performance will want to know this.
>
>How much real memory is needed (when using the current X10R4 code) to
>keep the system from paging like mad.  I.e., the system should be able
>to run a couple of csh's or vi's without paging during program
>execution.

A good base system should consist of at least 4 megabytes of memory for
a single user. This should allow for at least 2 windows running in xterm.

One note that should be mentioned about running X10R4 under V/386. Someone,
somewhere in an incredible display for planning for the future managed to
write the bootstrap loader so it starts out in real mode, rather than
protected mode. This means the kernel size (I am talking the binary size,
not the text+bss+data) can't be greater than around 690k. For example, a
system with the 2K file system, Network Support Utilities package, Remote
File Sharing package, X Windows Release 10.4, and the kernel debugger
active will have a /unix size of 642063. The size command shows the
actual section values: 376980+117140+865744 = 1359864. If you wanted to
add a networking packing such as Wollongong, Lachman, or Streamlined
Networks, you would be out of luck, at least until Release 3.2 hits
the streets.  R3.2 fixes the real-mode boot problem. I also know of
some individual companies that have made their own changes to the 3.0/3.1
kernel, but it is not a trivial job.

But don't let all this downer stuff keep you from looking at the Blit+X
combination - it is a real knockout. The 1600x1200 screen and X interface
knocks the socks of the Sun 3/150 sitting beside my desk at work. And
the faster the base machine the better - there is a slowdown when running
two bouncing ball (xdemo) programs in different windows on a 16MHz 1WS
'386 machine. Something like an Everex Step machine or a Flexcache would
probably take care of the bouncing balls.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the

mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) (10/15/88)

In article <448@l5comp.UUCP>, scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> Latest news from Bell... Brace yerselves...
>
> Nope, it isn't here yet. X11 is yet another "60 days" away, at least for the
> AT&T port. ISC is said to have a version for the WGE but no word from Bell
> about when it might be available.

I just saw a notice from Bell Tech yesterday.  They were advertising for
an X guru with the expertise to port X11.  Oh, My God!  You mean they haven't
even BEGUN to PORT X11 yet!!  "60 days" my *ss.  Time to call ISC.
--
Michael Kent                      INTERNET: mike@aleytys.UU.NET
Center for M.C.E.                 UUCP:     ...!{uflorida, uunet}!aleytys!mike

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (10/19/88)

In article <303@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
>I just saw a notice from Bell Tech yesterday.  They were advertising for
>an X guru with the expertise to port X11.  Oh, My God!  You mean they haven't
>even BEGUN to PORT X11 yet!!  "60 days" my *ss.  Time to call ISC.

Actually, I was told they were going to bring the finishing phases in-house.
Or perhaps they need someone for the fabled Color WGE card? Or to make their
internal deadline they decided they needed one more programmer?

I suspect there may be a few WGE users doing their own X11 ports as well...