[comp.unix.microport] vanishing inodes

trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) (10/20/88)

	A funny thing happened today to a file system I use for my news
spool files. It was configured for 9712 inodes and when I backed it up
to tape using tar 9114 had been used. So I did a mfs for 26000 inodes and
read the files back from the tape. Low and behold only 4366 inodes were
used up and df showed that I had not lost any data. So 9114-4366 have
vanished.

	I seem to remember some discusion of this on the news. Can anyone
shed any light.

		regards trevor    ukc!trevan!trevor

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/25/88)

In article <184@trevan.UUCP> trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
...	A funny thing happened today to a file system I use for my news
...spool files. It was configured for 9712 inodes and when I backed it up
...to tape using tar 9114 had been used. So I did a mfs for 26000 inodes and
...read the files back from the tape. Low and behold only 4366 inodes were
...used up and df showed that I had not lost any data. So 9114-4366 have
...vanished.
...	I seem to remember some discusion of this on the news. Can anyone
...shed any light.
...		regards trevor    ukc!trevan!trevor

This the infamous Alzheimer's syndrome.  The remedy is to umount the file
system, fsck it, and remount it, being sure that there are no open files
when you umount it, etc.

I do this with cron just after running expire, every night (or should I
say morning).

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield) (10/26/88)

In article <184@trevan.UUCP> trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:

>	A funny thing happened today to a file system I use for my news
>spool files. .....
>
>	I seem to remember some discusion of this on the news. Can anyone
>shed any light.

	Yeah - see if you can get a lengthy article that was in news.admin
recently.  It described the problem (bug in inode cache), how to test for it,
and what to do about it.  Email me if you don't still have it on your system.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!