[comp.unix.microport] How to get uPort to recognize COM3 & COM4.

paulr@prapc2.UUCP (Paul Raulerson) (10/24/88)

I need to know how to get uPort to recognize COM3 &4 without
purchasing an intelligent communications card. I tried the simple
expeidient of telling ttypatch to create com3, with the interrupt
structure as so:
			IRQ=4, BASE=3e8H
which DOS recognized right away, but uPort choked on.  I assume
by this failure I have to play games with the kernal, or more
specifically with the asy driver in the kernal.  I looked in the
dfile.wini configuration file and found that the max number of
serial ports supported was 4, but am at a loss what else to change
to make things happy.  The line printer seems to have three vectors,
while the asy driver seems to have only 2, should I "steal" one of the
unused line printer vectors?

Any input/help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

--
Paul Raulerson & Paul Raulerson & Associates   +---------------------------+
Data/Voice: 1+215-275-2429 / 1+215-275-5983    | Always Aim To Please ...  |

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (10/27/88)

In article <71@prapc2.UUCP>, paulr@prapc2.UUCP (Paul Raulerson) writes:
> I need to know how to get uPort to recognize COM3 &4 without
> purchasing an intelligent communications card. I tried the simple

    I beleive the problem has something to do with sharing interrupts. I
know a freind tried the basic 4-port serial card found at computer shows
and it also choked. Microport (and other Unix's) like the boards that use
one interrupt for all the ports on that card. It doesnt have to be
intelligent. Usually at the computer shows they will have two flavors
of small, cheap 4-port boards. One is a standard Com1-4 and the other is
listed as a Xenix board. The Xenix flavor usually has all ports driven from
a common interrupt. Im using an 8-port "dumb" Digiboard with all 8 ports
using IRQ 3.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net