[comp.unix.microport] Kermit vs. HDB UUCP

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (10/31/88)

Does someone have a fixed version of kermit for Microport version 3.0e?
One that thinks tty lock files belong in /usr/spool/locks instead
of the pre-HDB-UUCP /usr/spool/uucp?  I guess I could get the source
and fix (i.e. recompile) it myself, but...

Vernon Schryver
vjs@calcite.uucp    or    {decwrl,sun,pyramid}!sgi!calcite!vjs

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (11/02/88)

In article <27@calcite.UUCP>, vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
> Does someone have a fixed version of kermit for Microport version 3.0e?
> One that thinks tty lock files belong in /usr/spool/locks instead
> of the pre-HDB-UUCP /usr/spool/uucp?  I guess I could get the source
> and fix (i.e. recompile) it myself, but...

If you have the source, the fix is ridiculously easy -- all you
have to do is compile it correctly.  The supplied make file takes
the system you're compiling for as a parameter (e.g. make sys3,
make bsd, make xenix, etc.).  Instead of making sys5, just make
att3bx instead -- according to the documentation the only
difference between att3bx and sys5 is where the lock files go!

(I've notified Microport and suggested they post the correct
version to the BBS, and I will suggest to the powers that be at
Columbia that they might want to change the #define and make
parameters to be a little more obvious as well.)

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@sdrc.uucp
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"Save the Quayles" - Mark Russell

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (11/03/88)

I recently did get the sources for 4D(061), the same one originally
distributed with SV/AT (are there any others?).  I used the makefile
included to build it under SV/AT, and it seems to have worked perfectly.
When I tried the same thing under ISC 386/ix, the compiler fails.  It
turns out that things like 'unchar' are now defined in one of the system
header files, causing a conflickt with some definitions in the kermit
sources.  I'm going to fix the kermit sources, along with the lock
files for HDB (*when I have time*).  I'll be happy to post, if requested.
(Hmmm... to save the deluge, how 'bout if I post a notice here when it's
done and working, then people can write to request it.)

While I'm at it, is there any reason that I shouldn't use a link from
/usr/spool/uucp/LCK*  to /usr/spool/locks/LCK* if both directories
exist?  That way, the correct lock should exist regardless of which
version of UUCP is running.  Thoughts on this anyone?

mike borza      <nusip@maccs.UUCP>