[comp.unix.microport] Keyboard hangs

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (11/03/88)

Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport
Subject: Re: More Info on Console Driver Bug
In article <4155@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) writes:
>In article <105@cbw1.UUCP> brian@cbw1.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) writes:
>>In article <321@sdti.UUCP> mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) writes:
>>>
>>>I have some more information on the console driver bug that I reported
>>>in a previous article (the one where the keyboard seemed to hang after
>>>messing around with CTRL-S/CTRL-Q).
>>>
>[ much stuff deleted ]
>>>Mike Young
>>
>>I have experienced EXACTLY (I mean to the letter) the same problem with the
>>V/386 3.0e release.  This is clearly a new bug in the new kd driver.  I have
>>-brian
>
>I had problems with ctrl-s/ctrl-q using Microport (AT and 386) with my
>machine (great box, lousy keyboard) so I called Microport and complained.
>They told me they were trying to clean up the keyboard driver to correct
>the problem, but also, that some keyboards were more prone to exhibit the
>problem that others.  Being innately cheap, I lived with the problem
>until I finally receive a beta console/keyboard driver to test.  The
>situation had improved but was still an annoyance so I bit the bullet and
>bought a new keyboard (a so called "intelligent keyboard" from Northgate).

This would be really helpful info if I didn't already own a Northgate
keyboard :-)   My whole problem has been that I *like* my Northgate keyboard
a whole lot.  It has GREAT tactile feedback and it's difficult, at best, to
find clone keyboards that exhibit this quality.  Unfortunately, a junk
keyboard I have lying around doesn't seem to have the same problem (figures
doesn't it?).

As it is, I have always had troubles with this keyboard using the Phoenix
ROM bios.  Powering up the machine doesn't seem to reset the keyboard
correctly and it just lies there; dead.  So, I tried the AWARD BIOS and it
seemed to work fine -- until recently.

So, now I'm in the process of ordering new ROMs for both the BIOS and the
keyboard controller in hopes that this problem will go away.  I doubt it
will though...

>[rest of ken's stuff deleted]
>Ken Keirnan
>--

Aloha,
brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu