[comp.unix.microport] make & ksh

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (11/11/88)

Someone said:
>     We had the second problem too, and tracked down to a bug in
> make that was triggered by Aspen ksh.  ksh exports the _
> environment variable, and when make is looking at the env for
> variables, it croaks on the non-alphanum character.

I can't duplicate this behavior.  GNU make doesn't have this problem
at all, nor did AT&T make when I tried it.  I never run sh, just ksh.

Someone else said:
> Will Microport be supplying a fixed make on  the bbs anytime soon?
> Please?

GNU make works pretty well on a 386.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen      james@bigtex.cactus.org      "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (11/15/88)

In article <10433@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>Someone said:
>>     We had the second problem too, and tracked down to a bug in
>> make that was triggered by Aspen ksh.  ksh exports the _
>> environment variable, and when make is looking at the env for
>> variables, it croaks on the non-alphanum character.
>
>I can't duplicate this behavior.  GNU make doesn't have this problem
>at all, nor did AT&T make when I tried it.  I never run sh, just ksh.

You cannot duplicate this behavior with any other make, because it must be
a bug in the System V make.
I have seen exactly the same problem on SCO Xenix 2.1.3. It seems strange
that Xenix make and uport make have the same problem and some AT&T make
doesn't.
My fix at that time was to change the '_' into 'Z' in ksh, figuring that
no other utilities would use an environment variable 'Z'.
I believe the problem was fixed in SCO Xenix 2.2.
Don't know whether uport has looked at the problem yet.

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |