[comp.unix.microport] Compatibility of uport and sco with IBM PS/2 model 50Z

curci@loligo.fsu.edu (Ray Curci) (11/17/88)

I have an IBM PS/2 model 50Z and would like to run some form of UNIX.
The 50Z is similar to a model 50 except that is has faster memory
access and a different hard disk controller (I am told).  I have sent off
and received literature from uport and sco.  In the Q/A section of the
SEP/OCT 1988 DISCOVER newsletter from Santa Cruz Operation it says that
SCO Xenix release 2.2.2 is not compatible due to the new hard disk
controller, but a fix is available from SCO "PS/2 Model 50Z ESDI Fix"
(SLF xnx100).  The article also says that the standard release 2.3
distribution will work.

I have spoken to the people at Microport, but have only been able to
reach non-technical sales people who don't understand the question.
I can only get the response "Well, since our product is ps/2 model 50
compatible, it should have no problem working with the ps/2 model 80.

Is anyone on the net using a real ps/2 model 50Z with either  Microport
or SCO Xenix?  If so, what version of the o/s are you using?  Have you
noticed any problems with this configuration?   I have had some bad
personal experiences with the 286 version of microport  v1.3.6 about
a year ago, and don't want to have another bad experience.

Thank you for your time,

raymond curci
egghead engineering
uucp: ...{gatech,uflorida,smart-ip-host}!stat.fsu.edu!egghead!curci
inet: curci%egghead.uucp@stat.fsu.edu

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (11/18/88)

In article <119@loligo.fsu.edu> curci@loligo.fsu.edu (Ray Curci) writes:
>I have an IBM PS/2 model 50Z and would like to run some form of UNIX.
>The 50Z is similar to a model 50 except that is has faster memory
>access and a different hard disk controller (I am told).  I have sent off

Microport is currently selling Unix Vr2 for the PS2/60 (286) with support
for ONLY the st-506 hard disk controller.

(* Off the soapbox, IMHO: (I'm not involved at all with the PS/2 engineering)
   Support for the ESDI controller (and the Model [78]0) "should" be avaliable
   late 1Q89.  If the Model 50Z uses the same ESDI controller as the 60/70/80,
   this new version "should" also work on it.
*)

  -John Plocher