[comp.unix.microport] Pascals for Microport Unix

felsenst@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Joe Felsenstein) (11/22/88)

When I inquired recently about Pascals available for Microport
Unix, I got four replies.  Three made the same recommendation:

Wes ("Barnacle Wes") Peters (... Sun.COM!obie!wes) wrote:

> I think the MetaWare 386 Pascal compiler is available for Unix.  Try
> calling Programmer's Paradise (800) 445-7899, Programmer's Connection
> (800) 336-116, or The Programmer's Shop (800) 421-8006.  These numbers
> are all from ads in a recent (10/88) issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal, BTW.

Another user, whose message I have mislaid (apologies), also made the same
recommendation.

The lone exception was Dave Remien (... cs.utexas.edu!pmafire!dave) who wrote:

> You could always use the public domain Pascal to C converter. I've got a
> copy I'll be glad to mail you - it's about 90k compressed. Or if you
> want, you can pick it up on our '386 machine. It's pretty decent; the
> only thing I've wanted that it doesn't have is Berkeley Pascal string
> support.

This last suggestion would be the cheapest but would make it a bit
hard to debug programs.

Based on these comments and a friend's strong positive statements
about the PCDOS Metaware Pascal, I have ordered it.  However I would
still like to know whether anyone has any information about
LPI Pascal, Green Hills Pascal, etc.

Many thanks to those who responded.  I not been aware that Metaware
Pascal might be available.

Joe Felsenstein, Dept. of Genetics SK-50, Univ. of Washington, Seattle WA 98195
 BITNET:    FELSENST@UWALOCKE
 INTERNET:  joe@evolution.ms.washington.edu
       or:  uw-evolution!joe@entropy.ms.washington.edu
 UUCP:      ... uw-beaver!uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe