[comp.unix.microport] Giant Price Hikes for System V Release 4

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (11/18/88)

...spoke with a salesperson at Bell Technologies yesterday and was told
that System V/4 is going to cost about $1300 and there isn't likely to
be an upgrade for V/3 people.  This person claimed that AT&T had super
jacked-up the rates and similar price hikes will occur from all other vendors.

This is really unfortunate, if true.  It's bad for Unix.  The price is
going in the wrong direction, know what I mean?  I don't suppose OSF is
going to be much help, pity GNU's restrictions prevent any sort of
value-added resale.

Anyone want to work on a PD Unix clone?  (2/3 :-)
--
-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (11/18/88)

In article <3001@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>...spoke with a salesperson at Bell Technologies yesterday and was told
>that System V/4 is going to cost about $1300 and there isn't likely to
>be an upgrade for V/3 people........ [etc.]

I talked with a sales guy (who's been truly helpful in the past) last
week, and it's V/3.2 that's coming out in a couple of weeks, and will
cost about the above figure to upgrade to, assuming you have the
software development environment (S.D.E.; don't we all? :-)). This is
apparently because AT&T considers V/3.2 to be a major upgrade (why the
hell is it a 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade, then, rather than to 4.0?). Maybe they
need the bucks to help pay for trying to overwhelm OSF (:-).

>Anyone want to work on a PD Unix clone?  (2/3 :-)

It's becoming a real temptation.

>--
>-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
>-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV
>-- uunet!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
208-526-3523 Paths: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave | ...!ucdavis!egg-id!pma386!dave

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (11/24/88)

In article <3001@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> ...spoke with a salesperson at Bell Technologies yesterday and was told
> that System V/4 is going to cost about $1300 and there isn't likely to
> be an upgrade for V/3 people.  This person claimed that AT&T had super
> jacked-up the rates and similar price hikes will occur from all other vendors.

What's been announced (and now shipping) is System V/386 Release 3.2, the
wonderful new release from AT&T that has wonderful new features (Xenix
compatibility, for example) and a wonderful new price.

Under the original System V Release 2 licensing, the 1-2 user license for
ALL of UNIX started at $50 and the unlimited number of users license was
$150.  In Release 3.0, the pricing changed so that the $50/$150 included
everything but the Networking (RFS) stuff, which cost $30 extra.  In Release
3.2, the Development utilities are now unbundled and cost an additional $80.

When you add up the pricing, the total royalty owed to AT&T by large volume
distributors has almost doubled.  Because of the margins which need to be
in between the large volume distributors, the wholesalers, the retailers or
end point VARs and the final end user, the doubling in price by AT&T tends
to have a disproportionate effect on end user list prices.

In our case, we have repriced the UNIX line not only to reflect the change in
UNIX cost from AT&T, but also to incorporate the extra items now included (we
bundle in media kit, now, for example) as well as reseller pricing tiers to
reflect the change in distribution policy from direct sales to sales through
resellers.

No pricing has been announced from AT&T on Release 4 (the merger between SUN
and AT&T), nor have we announced any pricing either.  Given the history of
AT&T's price increases as there are more mouths to feed, I am not optomistic.
We and numerous other companies strongly opposed the notion of either increasing
UNIX license fees or charging extra for the development utilities or RFS.

Dimitri Rotow