[comp.unix.microport] System V/386 Device Driver Documentation

johnt@bilver.UUCP (john temples) (11/19/88)

Does anyone know if AT&T (or anyone else) publishes any documentation on
writing device drivers for System V/386?  I called AT&T, and they said they
thought they had such a book, but couldn't find it in their computers.
--
John Temples - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!johnt
                   : johnt@bilver.UUCP

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (11/24/88)

In article <302@bilver.UUCP>, johnt@bilver.UUCP (john temples) writes:

> Does anyone know if AT&T (or anyone else) publishes any documentation on
> writing device drivers for System V/386?  I called AT&T, and they said they
> thought they had such a book, but couldn't find it in their computers.
> --

By far the best public reference on device drivers for System V/386 is the
Integrated Software Development Guide written by AT&T and published by
AT&T and Bell Tech.  This is targeted for System V/386 Release 3.2.  Your
best bet is to call the AT&T 800 number for documentation and order with
a credit card.  We include the volume in our Software Development Set
documentation volumes.  Since it is licensed AT&T material associated with
the operating system we can't sell it as a separate volume, but AT&T can.

This book includes a sample source code floppy disk driver plus lots of
other useful information.  Despite the 3.2 targeting, it should be very
useful for Microport and Interactive.

Dimitri Rotow

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (11/24/88)

In article <302@bilver.UUCP> johnt@bilver.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>Does anyone know if AT&T (or anyone else) publishes any documentation on
>writing device drivers for System V/386?  I called AT&T, and they said they
>thought they had such a book, but couldn't find it in their computers.

Interactive's V/386 Unix comes with a small booklet that discusses device
driver writing, and gives an example of a parallel printer driver. For what
is there, it's pretty useful. I would be nice if it was bigger than a
booklet though.

Another place you might look is a book called _Writing a Unix Device
Driver_ by Janet I. Egan and Thomas J. Teixeira. It is a Wiley book,
ISBN 0-471-62859-X (paperback), and was published in 1988.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the