[comp.unix.microport] Upgrade from Sys V/AT to 386 ???

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/22/88)

    I beleive this has been discussed before but has the mechanisms ever
been put in place to allow a current user of Sys V/AT 2.4U to upgrade
to Sys V 386 without paying full price ??  Inquiring minds want to
know. :-)

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (11/22/88)

In article <672@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I beleive this has been discussed before but has the mechanisms ever
>been put in place to allow a current user of Sys V/AT 2.4U to upgrade
>to Sys V 386 without paying full price ??  Inquiring minds want to
>know. :-)
>
>					John

Yes but I have no idea what the price is. Call up and ask sales.

dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (11/23/88)

In article <672@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>     I beleive this has been discussed before but has the mechanisms ever
> been put in place to allow a current user of Sys V/AT 2.4U to upgrade
> to Sys V 386 without paying full price ??  Inquiring minds want to
> know. :-)

I had a talk with one of the sales types at Microport about this. If you want
to update a kit containing everything (OS, software development tools, text
processing) the cost is $585 or so. If you just want the OS, the price was
substantially less (under $200).

At the time, I decided to wait at least until the next major rev. came out
(which it just did), but still am not sure if I want to sink another $500
plus into microport. One note from the conversation with the sales type
which will give people a good chuckle: I asked why I should buy from microport
over ATT, Bell, etc., and was told that the reason was that "Microport does
such an excellent job of support!" (If that were true, I may have actually
gotten some use out of my 286 version!).

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (11/27/88)

In article <2509@cloud9.UUCP> dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) writes:
: At the time, I decided to wait at least until the next major rev. came out
: (which it just did), but still am not sure if I want to sink another $500
: plus into microport. One note from the conversation with the sales type
: which will give people a good chuckle: I asked why I should buy from microport
: over ATT, Bell, etc., and was told that the reason was that "Microport does
: such an excellent job of support!" (If that were true, I may have actually
: gotten some use out of my 286 version!).

Actually, they *are* giving good support. I have nothing but good
words for John Plocher. Each time I've talked to him, I've either got
good results or a satisfactory answer to why it couldn't be done. I
know this is in marked contrast to their past, so you should at least
try talking with other *current* customers to see if my experience is
duplicated elsewhere.

I'm running their latest on my Zenith '386 and have no major problems
with it (other than the inode problem, but that's AT&T's fault, not
Microport's; John says they're working on it).  This is in spite of
the nonsupported VGA card I'm using, and my very demanding nature.
:-) Ok, I'm a little irritated at the slowness of the disk driver, and
there's this little bug in the console driver, ... but I have worse
problems with our Sun's, and I've managed to live with them. I can
live with this nitpicky stuff on my personal machine. For a while.

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill