[comp.unix.microport] 386 Unix Options

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (11/17/88)

We're upgrading from SCO Xenix 286 and are considering our options ...
We've been quite happy with their product, but we have a number of criteria
to meet and are pretty price-sensitive.  Since SCO still seems "behind"
the others (no NFS that we're aware of, etc.) and no longer will allow their
products to be sold mail-order, it seems worth shopping.

The machine would be used for

    (1) development by the resident Unix hack (that's me) regularly, and a
    	few others sporadically

    (2) mail/news via UUNET & Telebit @ 19200 bps

    (3) TCP/IP connection to DOS (Netware) & maybe Mac

    (4) SCCS archiving of all our source

Here's what we need:

    (1) Console multiscreens

    (2) ESDI disk support

    (3) TCP/IP, with the ability to let several clients login using
        a single board

    (4) Xenix software compatibility (I guess this means Sys V R3.2?)

    (5) Support for Telebit modem @ 19200 & dialing in/out on a single line

    (6) NFS

    (7) Support for Everex cartridge tape

    (8) RELIABILITY

Here's what we'd like, but isn't essential:

    (1) VP/ix support

    (2) Diskless node support over NFS

	(3) Korn Shell

I'd like to hear about:

    (1) your experience with a similar sort of setup: system/network board
		combinations, how much memory, how many/what kind users, how
		experienced you are at sysoping and how much of a pain installation
		was, etc.

    (2) the prices you paid

    (3) vendors and your experience with them

I realize this sort of thing has been done before, but I'm not aware of any
similar summaries about the latest greatest (Sys V 3.2, Xenix 2.3).

Please reply by E-mail, and I'll summarize for the net.  Thanks in
advance.
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/19/88)

In article <366@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> We're upgrading from SCO Xenix 286 and are considering our options ...
> We've been quite happy with their product, but we have a number of criteria
> to meet and are pretty price-sensitive.  Since SCO still seems "behind"
> the others (no NFS that we're aware of, etc.) and no longer will allow their
> products to be sold mail-order, it seems worth shopping.
>
> The machine would be used for
>
>     (1) development by the resident Unix hack (that's me) regularly, and a
>     	few others sporadically
>
>     (2) mail/news via UUNET & Telebit @ 19200 bps
>
>     (3) TCP/IP connection to DOS (Netware) & maybe Mac
>
>     (4) SCCS archiving of all our source
>
> Here's what we need:
>
>     (1) Console multiscreens

	SCO Xenix has it.  Additionally, release 2.3.1 also has multiscreens
		for serial terminals.

>     (2) ESDI disk support

	Use a WD-1007.  It looks like an mfm drive, but is esdi.  There
		are also several caching controllers available which
		work under Xenix

>     (3) TCP/IP, with the ability to let several clients login using
>         a single board

	Comes with the Excelan board (an excellent product, we have sold a
		number of them).

>     (4) Xenix software compatibility (I guess this means Sys V R3.2?)

	Given.

>     (5) Support for Telebit modem @ 19200 & dialing in/out on a single line

	Again, release 2.3.1 directly supports the Telebit modem.  2.2.3
		supported it with a Telebit utilities disk from SCO (free)

>     (6) NFS

	Not yet, although I am told it will be available in the near future.

>     (7) Support for Everex cartridge tape

	Yes.  While 2.2.3 had indirect support for the Everex (specify a
		different tape), 2.3.1 directly supports the Everex.

>     (8) RELIABILITY

	How reliable do you want it?  I keep seeing more reports about
		problems with some other unnamed Unixs for the 386 than
		with SCO Xenix.

> Here's what we'd like, but isn't essential:
>
>     (1) VP/ix support

	Vpix 1.1 (not the controlled release) is available and works very
		well.

>     (2) Diskless node support over NFS

	See my above comment regarding NFS.

> 	(3) Korn Shell

	Available from third parties (Aspen Software is one)

While SCO may seem a little slow at times, the quality of their product
is worth it.  Likewise the cost.  As the old saying goes, you get what
you pay for, most of the time.

We have installed Xenix on a wide variety of systems.  In terms of memory
we use a rule of thumb of 1/2 meg per user, depending on what they
will be doing.  As you know, the installation is painless but tedious.

Some features you didn't mention which are now available in 2.3.1 are:

	HDB UUCP
	Scheduled backups
	Easy customizatin of system parameters
	Menu-driven administration procedures
	Mouse support, both on main console and on terminals.
	Online help facility (not manual pages)

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (12/01/88)

I may have asked for too much in this one posting; I got more responses
from those wanting the same information than from people offering information.
This posting summarizes their responses, and gives my analysis of the choices
available, along with a couple of extra questions.

Here's my original inquiry: