[comp.unix.microport] TCP/IP and NFS for System V/386 R3.2 on PC-AT type boxes.

joel@intelisc.UUCP (Joel Clark) (12/02/88)

In article <363@intelisc.UUCP> I wrote:
>We are beginning the process of moving our product to R3.2 from R3.0.
>We have been using Execelan software to provide sockets and TCP/ip.
> This is not an option any more.
>
>Currently we are considering going to:
>	1) Wollengong tcp/ip on the PC/586 board
>	2) Lachman Associates tcp/ip
>	3) Interlan tcp/ip on Micom board.
>

>NFS is also desirable.

My summary of responses:
I apoligize for the delay (3-4 weeks) in presenting this.  I've been trying
to get as accurate information as I can from the vendors.

Lachman Associates:
	Bell Tech is currently shipping LA TCP/IP for R3.1.
	Bell Tech is currently in Beta test for LA TCP/IP and NFS for R3.2
        Bell Tech will probably ship LA TCP/IP & NFS for R3.2 in Jan. '89.
	This package has PC/586 and 3COM drivers.
	Bell Tech sells the PC/586 board.

	I contacted Lachman Associates directly.  They only sell sources and
	consulting.  Their binary distributors are:
	Bell Technologies, Everex, Microport, and SCO for Xenix.

	Lachman Associates NFS appears to depend on LA TCP/IP include files.

	I saw on netnews today that Everex is selling a *nix system V
	R3.2 for 386 AT and micro-channel boxes called Enix that already
	has the TCP/IP driver. (Lachman Associates)

Streamline:
	Bell Tech is currently shipping Streamline TCP/IP.

Wollongong:
	Wollongong is currently shipping TCP/IP for R3.0 and R3.1.  They will
  	ship NFS for R3.1 in January '89.
	They support the 3COM 501 and 503 board.
	R3.2  TCP/IP should be available by Febuary 1989, NFS by March 1989.

		The Wollongong Group, inc.
		1129 San Antonio rd
		P.O. Box 51860
		Palo Alto, Ca 94303
		(415) 962-7100

    An engineer at ATT says:
	You won't hear me mention to you that AT&T's
	R&D support group is offering the Lachman version of TCP for
	its internal-only SysV release over the Wollongong code we re-sell
	to the outside world.

CMC:
	To quote from their product literature:

	"CMC's TCP/System V.3 is the software component of an Ethernet
	networking package for 80386-based PC-ATs.  When combined with
	CMC's ENP-66 intelligent Ethernet Node Processor, TCP/System V.3
	provides both industry-standard TCP/IP networking and AT&T's
	UNIX System V.3 STREAMS-based networking.  The product also
	includes a 4.2 BSD sockets programming interface, an AT&T UNIX
	Transport Level Interface(TLI), and support for RFS, AT&T's
	distributed file sharing system. TCP/System V.3 is designed
	for both the System V/386 operating system from Microport
	Systems, Inc. and the 386/ix operating system from Interactive
	Systems Corporation."

		Communications Machinery Corporation
		125 Cremona Drive
		Santa Barbara, CA 93117
		(800) CMC-8023

I will add that UNIX is a registered trademark of AT$T

Interlan:   The only information I recieved comes from Doug McCallum at
	    Interactive Systems

>The Interlan software will be made to run under 3.2.  Interactive is
>working with Interlan to ensure this.  There are other alternatives as
>well.  Interactive has a TCP/IP that will work under 3.0 and 3.2.  It
>would be relatively easy to add a PC/586 driver (it currently runs
>with 3COM 3C501/3C503, Interlan NI5210/NI9210, Western Digital WD8003E
>and Ungermann-Bass PC NIC).  Of course I'm biased toward our product,
>but if I had to choose between 1 and 2 above for a kernel
>implementation I would choose 1.
>
>Interactive will also be supporting NFS under 3.2.
>
>There are other products.  Interactive's 386/ix TCP/IP for one.
>Streamlined TCP/IP is another.
>
>The Interlan version will be made 4.3 compatible in the near future
>(it is 4.2 compatible now).
>
>The Interactive product is new (first release) but a lot of work is
>going on to eliminate the few problems we know about.  The version
>that will go out with our 3.2 should be quite stable.   Wollongong is
>probably the most stable.
>
>The Interactive TCP/IP works with our X11 implementation.  The
>Interlan TCP/IP will work with our X11 in the relatively near future.
>
>Doug McCallum
>Interactive Systems
>dougm@ico.isc.com

Joel Clark