[comp.unix.microport] Miscellaneous questions re: Microport V/AT 2.4

stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) (11/21/88)

I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 about a month ago and I'm very happy with my system.
For those of you who missed my earlier flames, being "happy" with Microport is
an alien feeling for me so my satisfaction with 2.4 is especially noteworthy.
I'm still in shock; I had come to believe that "double panic" and "Microport"
were synonyms.  2.4 is the first release that feels like a real product to me;
earlier releases were just "Betas."

I've got a miscellany of questions regarding the 2.4 release.
ls -la /bin/ksh*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 bin      bin        68468 Jun 25  1987 /bin/ksh
-rwxr-x--x   1 root     sys        67742 Sep 20 02:00 /bin/ksh-v
(1) What is the difference between these two versions of the ksh?
(2) Why does the YEAR show up for the first version while the TIME shows
up for the second?

(3) I "upgraded" 2.3 rather than installing 2.4 from scratch.  According
to the documentation and previous postings to this group, 2.4 made some
dramatic changes to the virtual console drivers and introduced "vcon".
However, I'm evidently still using the 2.3 virtual consoles.  How do I
change to "vcon" and, based on previous bug reports, do I *want* to change
to vcon?  Also, since vcon didn't automatically install when I upgraded I'm
wondering if there might be any other 2.4 features that I haven't yet seen?

(4) It was my understanding that 2.4 was going to include *both* the "standard"
uucp and Honey-DanBer uucp. However, I didn't receive Honey-DanBer (or, at
least, I don't *think* I received it).  Prior to the 2.4 upgrade I attempted
to download Honey-DanBer from the Microport BBS but (a) It took a long, long
time to download (1200 bps) and (b) when I finally got the source uncompressed
I discovered that it, apparently, wasn't the complete package but only an
ungrade to a previous posting--some executables appeared missing though there
was no manifest and basically *zero* documentation.  Was 2.4 supposed to
include Honey-DanBer?

(5) Is the "clocktic" patch *purely* machine dependent or can someone give
me a reasonable figure for a 12/0 machine?

(6) The 2.4 documentation says that divvy contains two "undocumented" switches:
"-u and -d" and, sure enough, the documentation then proceeds to *leave* them
basically undocumented.  It's a joke, right?  I'd like to take some space from
0s0 (root) and give it to 0s2 (user); will divvy allow me to do that *without*
requiring a reinstallation?

egs@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Schnoebelen) (11/22/88)

In article <152@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 about a month ago and I'm very happy with my
> system.
	I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4, and I am happy also, but I was
fairly happy before..
>(4) It was my understanding that 2.4 was going to include *both* the standard"
>uucp and Honey-DanBer uucp. [...]  Prior to the 2.4 upgrade I attempted
>to download Honey-DanBer from the Microport BBS but (a)  [...]
>(b) when I finally got the source uncompressed
>I discovered that it, apparently, wasn't the complete package but only an
>ungrade to a previous posting--some executables appeared missing though there
>was no manifest and basically *zero* documentation.  [...]
	My real question, Does the version on the BBS really include
source?  I got a copy via diskette from uport last fall, and it only had
binaries on it ( plus *roff source for documentation. ) Has AT&T really
released the source to this for all of us to look at?

		Thanks
			Eric

ps.  Relpy by mail, no need clogging the net further..

--
Eric Schnoebelen
John W. Bridges & Associates, Inc.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (11/24/88)

In article <152@tree.UUCP>, stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
> ls -la /bin/ksh*
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 bin      bin        68468 Jun 25  1987 /bin/ksh
> -rwxr-x--x   1 root     sys        67742 Sep 20 02:00 /bin/ksh-v
> (2) Why does the YEAR show up for the first version while the TIME shows
> up for the second?

Thats because /bin/ksh is >= 1 year old.  For files this old, ls decides to
just show the date and not bother with the hours and minutes.
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (11/24/88)

In article <152@tree.UUCP>, stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
> (6) The 2.4 documentation says that divvy contains two "undocumented" switches:
> "-u and -d" and, sure enough, the documentation then proceeds to *leave* them
> basically undocumented.  It's a joke, right?  I'd like to take some space from
> 0s0 (root) and give it to 0s2 (user); will divvy allow me to do that *without*
> requiring a reinstallation?

Yes, you should be able to if there are no other partitions in between.  For
example, on my system (hawkmoon), a mkpart -tp on drive 0 reveals:

# mkpart -tp disk0
partition 0:	DISK		permissions:	VALID UNMOUNTABLE
	starting sector:	0 (0x0)		length:	139264 (0x22000)
partition 1:	ROOT		permissions:	VALID
	starting sector:	153 (0x99)		length:	23103 (0x5a3f)
partition 2:	SWAP		permissions:	VALID UNMOUNTABLE
	starting sector:	23256 (0x5ad8)		length:	19040 (0x4a60)
partition 3:	USER		permissions:	VALID
	starting sector:	42296 (0xa538)		length:	61200 (0xef10)
partition 4:	USER		permissions:	VALID
	starting sector:	103496 (0x19448)		length:	17680 (0x4510)
partition 5:	USER		permissions:	VALID
	starting sector:	121176 (0x1d958)		length:	8432 (0x20f0)
partition 6:	BOOT		permissions:	VALID UNMOUNTABLE
	starting sector:	0 (0x0)		length:	34 (0x22)
partition 7:	ALTERNATES	permissions:	VALID UNMOUNTABLE
	starting sector:	34 (0x22)		length:	62 (0x3e)
partition 8:	USER		permissions:	VALID
	starting sector:	129608 (0x1fa48)		length:	9656 (0x25b8)
# df
/         (/dev/dsk/0s1    ):     6040 blocks     1909 i-nodes
/usr      (/dev/dsk/0s3    ):    12266 blocks     5150 i-nodes
/usr/users (/dev/dsk/0s4    ):      510 blocks     1438 i-nodes
/usr/spool/uucp (/dev/dsk/0s5    ):     4580 blocks     1346 i-nodes
/usr/ubin (/dev/dsk/0s8    ):     3544 blocks       61 i-nodes
/usr/spool/news (/dev/dsk/1s3    ):     8214 blocks     6944 i-nodes

Notice that 0s2 sits in between 0s1 and 0s3 and is assigned to swap.  If, in
your case, 0s0 and 0s2 are contiguous, i.e., the last block of 0s0 is next to
the first block of 0s2 you *should* be able to back up both partitions and then
change the sizes of both, taking from 0s0 and giving to 0s2, and restore to
those partitions from the backups just made.
Make sure that you use cpout or tar or cpio to do this, 'cause otherwise if you
use volcopy, the fs will be restored the same way you took it off!

Note however, that you will have to restore the root partition (i'm assuming
that 0s0 on your system is root) from your stand-alone boot floppy, since you
can't restore the root file system when running from it!

If you have swap in between the two partitions, you will have to adjust all
three somehow.  I.e., take from 0s0, give to 0s1, take from 0s1 and, in turn,
give to 0s2.  You should be able to adjust the swap space with the swap(1m)
command, if you have it.  Otherwise i'm not terribly sure how to do that except
with the mkpart(1m) command and fiddling with the def for the SWAP partition.

Of course, if you have resize(1m), just use that command to dynamically resize
your partitions.... (:-) (although that is generally not available on PCs...
sigh)

Hope this helps....

derek
--

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (12/02/88)

In article <152@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 about a month ago and I'm very happy with my system.
>For those of you who missed my earlier flames, being "happy" with Microport is
>an alien feeling for me so my satisfaction with 2.4 is especially noteworthy.
>I'm still in shock; I had come to believe that "double panic" and "Microport"
>were synonyms.

While I'm not getting as many double panics under 2.4 as I was under 2.3,
I really can't say that it's because the serial driver is better.  It's
because the system now becomes autistic if I type at a reasonable speed.
The keyboard simply refuses to function, and I have to reboot the machine
to get it back working.  This happens MUCH more often than the double
panics ever did, and with essentially the same result.  Simply unplugging
the keyboard and plugging it in is no help.

>-rwxrwxr-x   1 bin      bin        68468 Jun 25  1987 /bin/ksh
>-rwxr-x--x   1 root     sys        67742 Sep 20 02:00 /bin/ksh-v
>(1) What is the difference between these two versions of the ksh?

Good question.  My installation of 2.4 only gave me /bin/ksh, not
ksh-v.  Are there multiple version 2.4s?

>(4) It was my understanding that 2.4 was going to include *both* the "standard"
>uucp and Honey-DanBer uucp. However, I didn't receive Honey-DanBer (or, at
>least, I don't *think* I received it).

Pg R-11 of the release notes says, "Installation of HDB is described
later in these release notes."  The only mention later that I can find
is on page R-14, where it says "...you are ready to configure your HDB
system.  Before you begin this operation, you may want to print the
documentation supplied with the HDB distribution.  It is in
/usr/doc/uucp...", and gives a filename to print.  That is the last
mention of how to install HDB.  Note that it doesn't even mention that,
even if it was present, you'd have to install HDB in place of the
standard one.  That's not all.  IT ISN'T THERE.  Nor is there any such
directory as /usr/doc/uucp, let alone the documentation.  I'm glad, sort
of, that I finally gave up waiting for the 2.4 release (one of the
"three or four" upgrades that my years upgrade contract would pay for...
HAH!), and downloaded HDB from the Microport BBS at my own expense,
coast to coast, three multi-hour tries.

> Prior to the 2.4 upgrade I attempted
>to download Honey-DanBer from the Microport BBS but (a) It took a long, long
>time to download (1200 bps) and (b) when I finally got the source uncompressed
>I discovered that it, apparently, wasn't the complete package but only an
>ungrade to a previous posting--some executables appeared missing though there
>was no manifest and basically *zero* documentation.  Was 2.4 supposed to
>include Honey-DanBer?

Ditto here.  No documentation, no distribution.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (12/04/88)

In article <411@zinn.MV.COM> mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>>I'm still in shock; I had come to believe that "double panic" and "Microport"
>>were synonyms.
>
>While I'm not getting as many double panics under 2.4 as I was under 2.3,
>I really can't say that it's because the serial driver is better.  It's
>because the system now becomes autistic if I type at a reasonable speed.

Not to change the subject but my system is getting as many "double panics"
as ever, and maybe even more with 2.4 than it did with 2.3.1(beta) (if that's
possible).

The system in question has two dumb serial ports, one runs at 9600
baud and the other runs at 1200/2400 baud.

Oddly enough, I didn't notice the problem often enough to worry about it
when I was running 2.2, but that might be becuase I was having so many other
problems (like the 2-drive bug) that it got over-shadowed.

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Lester Moore - Four slugs from a .44
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  no Les, no more."