[comp.unix.microport] Microport V/AT Printer Spooler non-Problem

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/02/88)

Over the past year I have seen many people refer to the problem where the
V/AT spooler stops talking to a printer even though there are files in the
print queue.  lpstat shows the printer as idle but queued files exist.  I
don't think anyone has ever thought it was anything other than a V/AT bug.
Well, here is an interesting story.

One of our consulting customers has been running V/AT on a clone for over
a year.  They had an Centronics printer with parallel interface.  This
problem never happened.  They just called because of a death of their
printer.  I suggested they swipe a printer from their DOS machine to get
things running.  They have a Brother printer.  When they plugged it in
printing took off.

About 1 hour later they called back.  Things had stopped working.  An
lpstat showed the old "printer spooler bug" - idle printer but files in
the queue.  This is only one data point but it sounds to me like there is
a difference between Centronics and Centronics compatible.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

bill@zycor.UUCP (bill) (12/05/88)

}
} About 1 hour later they called back.  Things had stopped working.  An
} lpstat showed the old "printer spooler bug" - idle printer but files in
} the queue.  This is only one data point but it sounds to me like there is
} a difference between Centronics and Centronics compatible.

I have a Epson Rx-80 and a Panasonic KX-P3151 for nice output. The
Epson works fine. If I plug in the Panasonic instead, the system
prints for about 2 minutes then crashes. This is with a Herc graphics
card (mono). I have not tried swapping cards yet... In any case, this
would lead me to the same conclusion as above - there is some difference
between compatible and compatible.

--
Bill Mahoney
bill@zycor.UUCP

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/06/88)

In article <1559@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

> About 1 hour later they called back.  Things had stopped working.  An
> lpstat showed the old "printer spooler bug" - idle printer but files in
> the queue.  This is only one data point but it sounds to me like there is
> a difference between Centronics and Centronics compatible.
>
> Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX

One thing I would check for, is the printer buffering.  A "Centronics"
interface is just that.  An interface.  A lot of older printers don't have
any kind of buffering, which means that you have to feed it data at the
print rate.  This can result in an interrupt-per-character type arrangement,
which can kill even the best operating system :-(  On newer printers, once
you get the interrupt, you can handshake in a lot of chars at once, meaning
that the latency is a lot less.  It seems to me, that the driver/printer
interface is getting confused.  This could be a result of heavy interaction.
Note however, that I don't use Microport UN*X, so the above is nothing more
than idle speculation, given the information posted.  Hope it helps...
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---