[comp.unix.microport] Attention: users of Qedit...

cutter@cutsys.UUCP (Bernie Hoffstadt ) (12/06/88)

        I was very pleased with Qedit when I first got it from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc several months ago (Version 2.4).  The
main thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it
terminated all lines with the Dos CR/LF pair, something that
normal Dos users wouldn't have any problems with.  But as a user of
a merged Dos/Unix operating system (in my case Microport/Locus) I
quickly found that Unix doesn't like CR/LF's, and the pain of
converting the files back to LF only each time I save was enough to
discourage me from using Qedit.  I finally decided to call SemWare
and ask for a special version that didn't add the CR, or in other
words acted like a Unix editor.  That set me back $75. I was told
that I could recoup some of my losses by selling the Merge version
as a dealer.  Well, I'd like to see if there's anyone interested.
If enough people are, I could ask SemWare for a few more
fixes/enhancements. The ones I'd like to see are listed below...

        Ability to:
           mark a line with a letter, aka vi & less.
           append to a file on write.
           map (change) case of a word, line, or block.
           repeat some action X times.
           goto column # as well as line #.
        Support of extended text modes (such as 132x43) provided by
           such cards as the Paradise Autoswitch 480, ATI EGA
           Wonder.  I haven't been able to get these modes to work
           with Qedit, though the docs contain indications that they
           *should* work.
        Option to NOT unlink original file when saving (currently,
           the edit buffer is saved to a temporary file which is moved
           to the real filename on completion. This causes problems
           under Merge when the original filename is mapped (from an
           illegal name under Dos) or the modes aren't rw-rw-rw-.

        If these changes could be implemented without degrading the
incredible speed and ease of use that Qedit offers, I'd be tickled
pink!
--
Bernie Hoffstadt   (503) 752-5929 * Internet: cutter%cutsys.UUCP@CS.ORST.EDU
1437 N.W. 9th st.   -or- 753-1646 *   -or-    cutter@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (12/06/88)

In article <304@cutsys.UUCP> cutter@cutsys.UUCP (Bernie Hoffstadt) writes:

>        I was very pleased with Qedit when I first got it from
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc several months ago (Version 2.4).
	Yup, Qedit's a nice job, but could be better.

>I could ask SemWare for a few more
>fixes/enhancements. The ones I'd like to see are listed below...
	Of course, my favorite fixes/enhancements are much more important :-)

>        Ability to:
>           mark a line with a letter, aka vi & less.
		Right on.  Though a number (a la Wordstar or Turbo) would be
		as good. Or even mark a spot (line AND column).

	    handle tabs as tabs, and definitely don't corrupt the tabs
		I put in the file with another editor.  (Right now,
		Qedit replaces tabs with an equivalent set of spaces.)

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|