[comp.unix.microport] Interactive UNIX V.3 and EGA

manfred@super8.UUCP (Manfred Nikodem) (11/24/88)

Please Help!

I am using Interactive Unix SYS V.3 and try to program a EGA card in
graphics mode. Who knows, how to put the data into the Bitmap of the
EGA card?

Thanks in advance,
Manfred Nikodem

manfred@supgmbh.uucp

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (11/28/88)

In article <388@super8.UUCP> manfred@supgmbh.UUCP (Manfred Nikodem) writes:

}I am using Interactive Unix SYS V.3 and try to program a EGA card in
}graphics mode. Who knows, how to put the data into the Bitmap of the
}EGA card?

This is actually documented.  In the binder entitled "Supplements" there are
man pages for the Interactive extensions to SVR3.  Read the man page for
display(7); in particular, the KDSETMODE ioctl, which allows you to put the
current console into graphics mode, and the KDMAPDISP ioctl which allows you
to map the EGA's screen memory into your address space.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (11/28/88)

In article <564@redsox.UUCP> campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>In article <388@super8.UUCP> manfred@supgmbh.UUCP (Manfred Nikodem) writes:
>
>}I am using Interactive Unix SYS V.3 and try to program a EGA card in
>}graphics mode. Who knows, how to put the data into the Bitmap of the
>}EGA card?
>
>This is actually documented.  In the binder entitled "Supplements" there are
>man pages for the Interactive extensions to SVR3.  Read the man page for
>display(7); in particular, the KDSETMODE ioctl, which allows you to put the
>current console into graphics mode, and the KDMAPDISP ioctl which allows you
>to map the EGA's screen memory into your address space.

The KDSETMODE KD_GRAPHICS call is a misnomer, as it doesn't actually
put the display into a graphics mode.  It just prepares things so
that YOU can finish the job.  Also, you'll need to refer to the vt(7)
manual page, because you'll want to create a virtual terminal for
the display.

You'll need to program the EGA chipset into the proper mode, etc,
yourself.  You do this with the inline in[bw]() and out[bw]() functions
and a reference manual for the EGA.  There is a good book on the EGA
available, but I can't find my copy, so I can't give you the title.
Maybe somebody else has it?  I think its a Microsoft Press book.

It can be done, but the support that ISC provides is most basic.
--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) (12/09/88)

Got a question, I've been trying to install gnu 18.52 on my machine
here and have been running into problems with a variable error.

When I try to compile the temacs file, I get an error involving
the Lisp_Subr variable.  Anyone else have the same problem?  It
had something to do with not being added to the symbol table?

Mitch