[comp.unix.microport] Compaq Tape Drive under Bell Tech Unix

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (12/05/88)

I am trying to bring up Locus' MERGE 386 with Bell Tech UNIX on a Compaq
386 Deskpro (16mhz) and am doing pretty good except for the gottcha....

There seems to be no tape driver in Bell Techs Unix for the internal 40mb
Compaq Tape Drive. It appears to be driven off of the floppy disk controller
board with some rather unusual method of motor/head step control.

I hope that someone in netland has solved this problem (ie can tell me how
or where to find a driver for this thing) or knows someone else who has.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated since Locus Computing has been
trying to fix it with a DOS patch for the last 3 months...it doesn't work
yet!

Oh yes, Bell Tech is no help; to quote them "contact the vendor (Locus) that
you bought it from, they should be able to help you".

My daytime voice phone is (918) 252-5791 x 28.

James A. (JC) Carter				|
Penguin Business Systems, Inc.			|   When in doubt..
UUCP:  ..!okstate!romed!penguin!jac		|	SWAP it out..

fr@icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) (12/08/88)

<
< There seems to be no tape driver in Bell Techs Unix for the internal 40mb
< Compaq Tape Drive. It appears to be driven off of the floppy disk controller
< board with some rather unusual method of motor/head step control.

< trying to fix it with a DOS patch for the last 3 months...it doesn't work
< yet!
< James A. (JC) Carter                          |
< Penguin Business Systems, Inc.                        |   When in doubt..
< UUCP:  ..!okstate!romed!penguin!jac           |       SWAP it out..

When something doesn't work for three months it is time to SWAP it out.
Compaq and SCO work together. What is it $795 retail?  As a reseller much
less.

How much pain do you need to make a buck?
--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.             or ...{bellcore,rutgers,cbmvax}!bpa!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (12/10/88)

In article <7115@icdi10.uucp>, fr@icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) writes:
> In article <521@penguin.UUCP>, jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) writes:
> < I am trying to bring up Locus' MERGE 386 with Bell Tech UNIX on a Compaq
> < 386 Deskpro (16mhz) and am doing pretty good except for the gottcha....
> < There seems to be no tape driver in Bell Techs Unix for the internal 40mb
> < Compaq Tape Drive. It appears to be driven off of the floppy disk controller
> How much pain do you need to make a buck?
> --

I was hoping for a response that said I had overlooked something, but in it's
absence, this was also intended as a caution to future purchasers of the
MERGE/386 product. (Locus still runs full page ads on the back of Computer
Systems News that imply that they have it all figured out.)