[comp.unix.microport] floating point under Microport 286

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (12/12/88)

In article <711@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>In article <612@cimcor.mn.org>, mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> main()
>> { float a; a=2.0; printf("%f\n",a); }
>>
>     I'm not a C-guru so don't flame me but what is this code supposed to
>do if it works properly ?  I compiled this code two different ways on my
>Sys V/AT 2.3U system.
>
>	1. cc -o test test.c -lm
>	2. cc -o test test.c
>
>     When I run test, it just returns the cursor. No error, no nothing.

:-) :-) :-)   test is a built in shell command.  try executing it as ./test
		or renaming it as fptest.

As to the compiler problems, we have a version of the compiler internally which
fixes most (if not all) of the known bugs - it still needs to be validated, so
don't expect it to be avaliable for a while.

I will post something here when the compiler is avaliable for outside use.

    John Plocher

mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) (12/13/88)

From article <275@uport.UUCP>, by plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher):
> In article <711@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>In article <612@cimcor.mn.org>, mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>> main()
>>> { float a; a=2.0; printf("%f\n",a); }

OK, my cancel message obviously didn't make it around the net. Too Bad.
I got the floating point problem solved by reloading the software
development system a few hours after the original posting. Sorry
about the stir it made.

(At least I don't have to admit that XENIX is better!).

There is an occasision NMI error (about once a week) when the system
is under heavy load and using high memory. That must have caused the problem.
Cheap Korean RAM.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike@cimcor.mn.org