[comp.unix.microport] GNU 18.52 movemail problem

mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) (12/13/88)

Alright people, thanks loads to the people who aided me in my memory
problem.  Here goes with another one.

I'm using Microport Unix.  It doesn't do mail file locking (at least
I can't find it).  Emacs wants it to. . .real bad.  So bad in fact,
that when I execute rmail, I get the error :

	Movemail : error making lockfile

Now, I'm no whiz but that aint good.  To top it off, I'm wasting 12 meg
of precious disk space because I am not going to kill gnu only to
bring it back in a week.  So, does anyone have any idea how I can
either fake movemail out, or how to get microport to do mail file
locking in a way that movemail will respect?

Tanks (and planes...)

BTW - Just so I don't have to deal with this wgain, is there any other
problem I should expect after this one goes away?

			Mitch
			...!lehi3b15!mludwig

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (12/14/88)

In article <430@lehi3b15.UUCP> mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) writes:
>Alright people, thanks loads to the people who aided me in my memory
>problem.  Here goes with another one.
>
>I'm using Microport Unix.  It doesn't do mail file locking (at least
>I can't find it).  Emacs wants it to. . .real bad.  So bad in fact,
>that when I execute rmail, I get the error :
>
>	Movemail : error making lockfile
>
> [Stuff deleted]
>			Mitch
>			...!lehi3b15!mludwig

The problem and solution is fairly straightforward.  When movemail
tries to make a lock file in /usr/mail, it can't.  That is because
/usr/mail is 775 owned by root with group of mail.  My solution is to
run ~emacs/etc/movemail SGID mail.  This gives movemail permission to
write it's lock files.  I have been using this system with SysV R2 on
a 3B15 for almost a year without problems.  I used to use Micrport on
my PC but I gave up on it and bought XENIX, therfore I have not tried
this fix on a Micrport System.  Please E-mail me if you are still
having problems.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University