[comp.unix.microport] Questions from the Soviets about UNIX

crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) (12/16/88)

    I have a Soviet frind named Dima who has prepared a list of questions
that I'm sure almost anyone might be able to answer.   This is the first
list of questions from the Soviet Union that I am passing on for anyone
to answer.

    Remember,  these people don't know English Fluently,   so keep your
terms as simple as possible,  and refrain from some of the colorful
metaphores often used on the Nets.     Translators are available and
usually they get payed in bottles of Vodka.

    One other thing to consider,  is that these people are very
inexperienced in telecommunications,  and are just now getting started
building a Publis access Computer network using Xenix on IBM-PC's.

    I recommended they start out using Fidonet software,   and they
are considering it.   I have posted the first batch of questions a few
days ago,  and I've gotten word today that the question list went to
the translators.    They are currently translating them to Russian.
Not many translators are available right now,  as they are all down
in Armenia dealing with the disaster.

    The Soviets are now starting from the ground up to build a number
of Computer hosts to act like the WELL, Portal, BIX,  etc.    They
really want to eventually UUCP to the USA through the Teleport.   UNIX
machines are practically non-existant,  and I'm asking everyone here
in Net land to help us get them started so they can get on-line to
communicate with us.

    They cannot pay for the equipment in Rubles,  because it's non-
convertable currency,  so other arrangements for payment of the equipment
would have to be arranged.

    They have a LOT of programming talant,  and can probably pay in
programming services,   or at least pay for someone to visit Moscow and
help them get an on-line system started.

    They are working closly with the SF/Moscow teleport (See previous
posting in "comp.misc").    So,  here are the questions,   and you can
email the answers to be at the following net addresses.

    Remember,  if we get the Soviets on-line,  it is obvious that
better understanding would result between us,  and it would definitely
result in better relations.

    UNIX machines are non-existant and un-available to the general Soviet
people.   I suspect that their Military Komplex (mis-spelling intentional
:-)  would have them,   but the ordinary people have NEVER seen,  or
used UNIX.    They are starting from scratch.   So lets help them get
on-line,  and perhaps eventually on UseNet through the Teleport.

   So,  if anyone out there who is knowledgeable in setting up UNIX
sites and wants a free trip to the USSR to help them get set up,
Do we have any volunteers??

    For those MINIX users,   is it possible to send the Soviets a copy
of MINIX??   How does one feel about that,   Any comments??

Here are Dima's questions:

1.So we need information about  any software which makes it  possible to
create  UNIXlike  networks  under  MSDOS.

2.We've just  arranged Xenix  ver.2.0 for  PC AT.What  can we  do to try
Telecommunications on it?

3.How is it possible to install 4 modems in one computer?Using Com 1,2,3,4?
What multiplex board do we need(specification)?

4. Please send us a technical documentation for FidoNet and UUCP with
possibilities of this software and hardware support. Prices?

We can use IBM PC/AT/XT, so have you any examples of usage this computers
for such net which you describe in last message?

  < This last question sounds a little funny,   probably his difficulty
    in English >

   So,  if any of you people in Net land want to help these people out,
this is the first batch of questions they are sending to US.

   In relation to the LAST batch of questions we sent to them a few days
ago,   they are still working on them.    I suspect that I would get
the answers in a few days,  depending on the availability of translators,
which costs them money (or Vodka).

More later.... Stay tuned.

John Draper
Programmers Network
uunet!acad!well!crunch

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/17/88)

In article <10031@well.UUCP> crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) writes:

>    I have a Soviet frind named Dima who has prepared a list of questions
>that I'm sure almost anyone might be able to answer.   This is the first
>list of questions from the Soviet Union that I am passing on for anyone
>to answer.
>Here are Dima's questions:
>
>1.So we need information about  any software which makes it  possible to
>create  UNIXlike  networks  under  MSDOS.

The "MKS" toolkit provides most Unix commands for use  with MS-DOG.
PC-NFS allows MS-DOS machines to share files with Unix-systems that support
NFS using Ethernet.

>2.We've just  arranged Xenix  ver.2.0 for  PC AT.What  can we  do to try
>Telecommunications on it?

Read the information on uucp in the manuals (assuming you got them).

>3.How is it possible to install 4 modems in one computer?Using Com 1,2,3,4?
>What multiplex board do we need(specification)?

Get SCO Xenix 2.3 if you want to use com 1-4. It won't work on old versions.
But SCO provides a list of multiplex boards that do work (using only one
com-interrupt) in there release notes and in their "directory".

>4. Please send us a technical documentation for FidoNet and UUCP with
>possibilities of this software and hardware support. Prices?

Don't know about FidoNet, but all necessary info on UUCP should be in the
manuals. But it's all in English of course :-)

>We can use IBM PC/AT/XT, so have you any examples of usage this computers
>for such net which you describe in last message?

SCO Xenix provides a simple mail network between Xenix systems. It is
called "micnet".

Communicating with the USSR (and other communist countries) may be somewhat
difficult because of the danger of "sensitive" information being send to
countries that are not supposed to have access to that information.

As far as I know Usenet does not officially have a status of a mail carrier
like the post office. If you send a letter with classified information to
the USSR the post office cannot be held responsible, but if you post a message
in a Usenet newsgroup that is broadcast to the USSR (assuming we would get
Usenet news readers in the USSR) it is feasible that Usenet can be held
responsible.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

hall@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) (12/17/88)

Let's see.  You state your case as: Soviets don't have any computers
with which to gain experience and they are seeking techenical
help with the list of questions but then they wish to repay me
back with products of their programing skills.  No thanks, I rather
do it myself. ;-)

Sorry but this is comming across as a high school kid's version
of a prank.

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (12/18/88)

In article <8550@alice.UUCP>, debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
> Communicating with the USSR (and other communist countries) may be somewhat
> difficult because of the danger of "sensitive" information being send to
> countries that are not supposed to have access to that information.
>
> As far as I know Usenet does not officially have a status of a mail carrier
> like the post office. If you send a letter with classified information to
> the USSR the post office cannot be held responsible, but if you post a message
> in a Usenet newsgroup that is broadcast to the USSR (assuming we would get
> Usenet news readers in the USSR) it is feasible that Usenet can be held
> responsible.

The last time I had a security clearance (several years ago) the real
limits of distribution of any kind of sensitive information fell into
three categories:  the US and nowhere else, NATO countries, and the rest
of the world.

Actually there was a fourth category: North Korea, North Vietman, Cuba
and perhaps East Germany(?) -- anyway, it did not include either China
or the Soviet Union.

What that means, as far as the net's liability, is that anything that gets
to Switzerland (or Sweden, India or Australia) is just as much a liability
as if it were sent directly to Moscow).  That is in reference to legal
liability -- if the message were addressed to vlad!kgbvax!kremlin!moscva!ussr
then you may have reason to suspect the sender of spying and have a moral
(or patriotic) reason for intercepting the message, but in a society not
run by the KGB or the CIA, I cannot see how you could be legally liable for
that any more than for sending it to imaspy!ihnp4.

> Paul.
> --
> |debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

(excuse me if these addresses really refer to real persons or organizations
that are not engaged in active spying ;^).

geoff@lloyd.camex.uucp (Geoffrey Knauth) (12/19/88)

I saw a reasonable introduction to Unix telecommunications in the
Harvard Coop recently.  It was called something like "Using uucp and
Usenet," and had a fair number of examples.

If your Soviet programmers send me a copy of their most authoritative
book on training methods for elite rowing (tekhnicheskaja kniga po
metodam trenirovki v sfere akademicheskoj grebli), so that we rowers
in Boston can study it, I'd be more than happy to spring for the book
on uucp.

By the way, if you get any messages in Russian, I can translate them
into English for you.  I once worked in Moscow as an interpreter.  I
don't want any involvement with the KGB or GRU, though!
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth               ARPA: geoff%lloyd@hcsfvax.harvard.edu
Camex, Inc.                      UUCP: geoff@lloyd.uucp or hcsfvax!lloyd!geoff

dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) (12/19/88)

In article <846@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, hall@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) writes:

> Let's see.  You state your case as: Soviets don't have any computers
> with which to gain experience and they are seeking techenical
> help with the list of questions but then they wish to repay me
> back with products of their programing skills.  No thanks, I rather
> do it myself. ;-)
>
> Sorry but this is comming across as a high school kid's version
> of a prank.

And you are serious?
One simple fact is that, unless it is a pretty high level deal,
they don't have dollars or gold to pay for foreign products. And
western banks won't accept rubles. But under the current regime,
its ok for lesser Soviet porjects to pay in anything - services,
commodities - that their trading partners will accept.
Unrelated to this request, I have recieved an offer via Novosti
news agency, Moscow, via Twics in Tokyo for 'joint ventures'
between US and USSR business entities. Also, as they have
attempted to sell US publications a form of interactive news
services (via telecom) they made it clear they would accept
payment in PCs. I understand 386's are still prohibited export
to them, but not 286's. And apparently they have discovered
SCO Xenix!
  Now won't it be a gas when this newsgroup starts getting
cries for getty help in Cyrillic?