[comp.unix.microport] Smail 2.5 on V/386

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/17/88)

    I am in the process of converting my 2-year old 2.3U Sys V/AT system
over to a 386 running V/386 3.0e. So far everything has gone extrememly
smooth. I have Elm and News all up and running. All I need to get running
yet is Smail 2.5 and I can swap out my 286 system. I have taken the
exact source that I had running on the 286 and simply recompiled it on
the 386. It compiles cleanly. I install it as per the installation
instructions. The problem is that when I try to send mail with either
mailx or Elm, it kicks out the error "mail -s invalid option" or something
close to this. I didnt write down the exact wording. I restore the
original /bin/rmail and /bin/mail and all works again. The 286 sure didnt
complain about a " -s" option yet I can't find this in the config files.
Is there anyone running Smail 2.5 on V/386 that can shed some light on what
I need to do ?  This is my last step to getting everything running and
I'm very anxious. Any and all help is appreciated.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (12/20/88)

In article <713@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>....it kicks out the error "mail -s invalid option" or something
>close to this. I didnt write down the exact wording. I restore the....

You need to create a file in /usr/lib/mailx called "mailx.rc." The
file contains default information for the mail program. Add the line

unset addsopt

to the file, and you should be set. You might want to change other options
as well. Check the manual for the sopt settings as well as several others.
"Smail 2.5" works great on the 80386!
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the