[comp.unix.microport] YA uP V2.4

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (12/07/88)

Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?  I've been able to
build the unix file system on the second disk.  Unfortunately I haven't
been able to test out the new driver to see if the bogus HD I/O error
problem is fixed because I've been trying to put a DOS partition on the
second disk.  Seems like my existing DOS partition on D: gets wiped when
I mkfs.  I tried adding the DOS partition after making the system5 partition
but then I just get "invalid file system" when I boot unix and try to
mount the second disk.  I believe this worked OK in an earlier release,
at least getting both partitions built on the second disk.  I've tried
the usual gamut of permutations, using unix fdisk to change active
partitions, using dos fdisk to switch back, and vice versa.  BTW, if what
you have works, don't experiment.  You'll hate yourself in the morning.
--
Internet: asp@puck.UUCP				Andy Puchrik
uucp: decvax!necntc!necis!puck!asp		Moonlight Systems

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (12/09/88)

In article <347@puck.UUCP>, asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:

> Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?

Yes.  (I assume you are talking about a 286)

> I've been able to
> build the unix file system on the second disk.  Unfortunately I haven't
> been able to test out the new driver to see if the bogus HD I/O error
> problem is fixed because I've been trying to put a DOS partition on the
> second disk.  Seems like my existing DOS partition on D: gets wiped when
> I mkfs.  I tried adding the DOS partition after making the system5 partition
> but then I just get "invalid file system" when I boot unix and try to
> mount the second disk.

Sequence:  (dont use any dos utilities)

1. Fdisk
 a.   go to second drive
 b.   create both partitions
 c.   mark unix partition active

2. Divvy 1
     divvy requires that the unix partition on the second drive be active
     or it won't work.  This sets up all the partitions table stuff so the
     uport driver can find it's stuff.

     Put all the blocks in usr

     dos doesn't care if d: is active or not. (active sets which partitions
     on c: will boot).

4. labelit /dev/rdsk/1s2 yourname 1s2
                ^  note, use raw device.  I got some very strange results
using the stuff in the release notes (ie dsk instead of rdsk).

5.  mkdir /yourname
6.  mount the /usr sub-partition, Slice 3,  /dev/dsk/1s2
      mount /dev/dsk/1s2 /yourname

Notes: divvy -d 1    will dump all the partition stuff

      your unix partition will be missing about 1000 blocks for overhead.

      dos d: is accessible as /dev/rdsk/1s5  ie
	ln /dev/rdsk/1s5 /dev/dos/D

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (12/11/88)

In article <347@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:

>Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?

Yes.  But not with a DOS partition like you tried to do.  I made
a single Unix partition on my 2nd drive, a 43MB MiniScribe, and
made two filesystems in that.  Works like a champ...

-mm-

--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (12/13/88)

In article <421@zinn.MV.COM>, mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
> In article <347@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
> >
> >Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?
>
> Yes.  But not with a DOS partition like you tried to do.  I made
> a single Unix partition on my 2nd drive, a 43MB MiniScribe, and
> made two filesystems in that.  Works like a champ...

I can certainly make a unix filesystem on the 2nd disk, but it always
wipes my dos partition.  If I then add the dos partition I lose the
unix filesystem.  I wanted to run both disks with a 20 meg dos partition
and a 50 meg unix partition so I could swap them around if I had to.

I couldn't handle taking a two minute siesta everytime I used control-S
or the scroll lock key.  I guess if I had a 386 it would be a quick siesta.
I wonder how many people who actually got the V2.4 update are running it?
--

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (12/15/88)

In article <349@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
>In article <421@zinn.MV.COM>, mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>> In article <347@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
>> >
>> >Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?
>>

>I can certainly make a unix filesystem on the 2nd disk, but it always
>wipes my dos partition.  If I then add the dos partition I lose the
>
>I couldn't handle taking a two minute siesta everytime I used control-S
>--

I installed my 2.4 upgrade about 2 months ago and as of this date havn't
had any of the above problems.  I am running on one of the clone
286 systems that use the NEAT chip set at 12.5 Mhz, with 2 CDC 85Mb
drives on the standard WD controller (1002...???) don't remember the
exact model.  I have a 20Mb dos partition on both drives. I used the
fdisk that came with the uport system to create both filesystems. I have
not had the first disk error that about drove me crazy with 2.3.

I am constantly using the ^S ^Q combo to controll scrolling and
havn't experienced any problems there. I have a clone type (cheap)
herc. compatable video board.

The only problems that I did experience was first with the Archive
tape backup.  There is an error in the master file that I did not
catch at first in which they are assigning the ev interface instead
of the ar for the drive.

After making that change the tape came up working properly but when
I tried to install the drivers for the Connect Tech intelligent
serial board (that had already been checked out with 2.4) in the same
kernal as the tape was in I could not get the system to boot.  The
fix for this problem was to link ifile.text4 to ifile instead of
ifile.text3 in the linkkit/cf directory.  When installing both sets
of drivers in the kernal it created 4 text segments.

I have been using this combination for about a month now without
any panics, or errors at all.

All in all I am quite happy with 2.4 now if I could only get
back the money that I wasted on a non-functional Dos Merg package
when I first bought the whole system.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (12/19/88)

In article <1788@wa4mei.UUCP> you write:
>In article <349@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
>
>All in all I am quite happy with 2.4 now if I could only get
>back the money that I wasted on a non-functional Dos Merg package
>when I first bought the whole system.
>
>Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI

This bothers me too.  I had a very nice Merge/286 setup, then I went out
and bought an AST VGA Plus card.  After that, the Microport merge kernel
stopped working.

2.4 fixed the VGA problem, but the merge kernel has not been updated so
the merge product is STILL broken.  VGA is becoming more and more popular.
I wonder if Microport has given up on selling Merge/286?

(p.s. Randy, thanks for the tip re: the archive master file bug.  I spent
an hour or two puzzling over that until I saw your message.)
--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick; 259 Radnor-Chester Road, Suite 140; Radnor, PA  19087

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (12/20/88)

In article <768@cgh.UUCP> paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
>>In article <349@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
> Randy's remarks deleted ]
>
>This bothers me too.  I had a very nice Merge/286 setup, then I went out
>and bought an AST VGA Plus card.  After that, the Microport merge kernel
>stopped working.

Nothing new about that, it used to do the same thing with an EGA (since
fixed I'm told).

>2.4 fixed the VGA problem, but the merge kernel has not been updated so
>the merge product is STILL broken.  VGA is becoming more and more popular.
>I wonder if Microport has given up on selling Merge/286?

**** Flame on ****
Certainly not, they will still sell Merge, they'll just take their time
making it work.
**** Flame off ****

I have been a frequent critic of Microport, in this newgroup.  I have also
asked for moderation of criticism, same group.  I still don't have any kind
words for their '386 efforts but I'm amazed with what they've done with V/AT.

I've sat here and read about what a dog their serial driver is at 2400bps,
I ignored that because mine works just fine with a Trailblazer at 9600bps.
It couldn't quite make 19,200, but solid at 9600.  Today I ran some live
experiments and the uPort driver is alive and well at 19,200bps.  The only
change I made to make that happen was to replace the NS8250 in the internal
modem card with an NS16550A.  I didn't do the igloo cruft or anything.

>Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
>Chimitt Gilman Homchick; 259 Radnor-Chester Road, Suite 140; Radnor, PA  19087

I find it very hard to recommend Microport for any new installation who has
an alternate vendor (like none in the 80286 world), but I do see sincere
efforts to make things functional.  They're not bashful about taking your
money, but eventually you'll get a good faith attempt to produce what you
thought you were buying in the first place.  It might cost you another couple
of hundred dollars, but you'll get a good faith attempt.  Maybe, hopefully
soon, they'll get a decent typesetter so that you can RTFM.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (12/20/88)

>This bothers me too.  I had a very nice Merge/286 setup, then I went out
>and bought an AST VGA Plus card.  After that, the Microport merge kernel
>stopped working.

Microport does not currently support VGA cards.  We do, however, support
EGA cards, and many VGA cards have an EGA emulation mode built in.  Of those
that don't, IBM and Compaq are the best known.  We will be supporting VGA
in a future release, hopefully not too far in the future.

>2.4 fixed the VGA problem, but the merge kernel has not been updated so
>the merge product is STILL broken.

We are finishing engineering work on the 2.4 version of Merge 286; it will be
in QA 'till Feb, shipping soon after it passes.

>I wonder if Microport has given up on selling Merge/286?

Nope; in fact, are starting QA on a new version of the 286 compiler which fixes
all known bugs in the current release.  If you have test programs for compiler
bugs PLEASE send them in so we can make sure the new version doesn't have them.

    -John Plocher

dougm@uport.UUCP (Doug Moran) (12/21/88)

In article <278@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>of hundred dollars, but you'll get a good faith attempt.  Maybe, hopefully
>soon, they'll get a decent typesetter so that you can RTFM.

I'm working on it.  I want the manuals to be readable and make
sense even more than you do.

Doug Moran, Technical Publications