[comp.unix.microport] Keyboard lockup bug in 2.4 and 3.0e

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (12/20/88)

>I am one of those people who have this keyboard driver bug. You know the
>one that makes your system go to "control-lock" mode when you type control-S?
>Would someone at Microport please tell me:
>
>1) When is this bug going to be fixed

	Engineering is working on it now.  It is a "High Priority" bug.
	The problem is VERY keyboard/motherboard specific; it only shows
	up here on one keyboard <mine :-( > and then only once a week or so.

	I will post a note here when the fix is avaliable.

>2) What use is a support contract.

	When the fix is avaliable, you can get it (no charge) just by calling
	and asking for it.  If you don't have a hotline support agreement,
	you get to wait till the next release.

    -John Plocher
     Customer Support Manager

" Maynard) (12/23/88)

In article <281@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>	Engineering is working on it now.  It is a "High Priority" bug.
>	The problem is VERY keyboard/motherboard specific; it only shows
>	up here on one keyboard <mine :-( > and then only once a week or so.

Amazing how high priority problems seem to affect someone's machine at
Microport, while low priority problems don't. :-) :-)

>	I will post a note here when the fix is avaliable.
>>2) What use is a support contract.
>	When the fix is avaliable, you can get it (no charge) just by calling
>	and asking for it.  If you don't have a hotline support agreement,
>	you get to wait till the next release.

Great. Does this mean that when I finally get my copy of 2.4 (which I
STILL haven't gotten yet, despite my paid update contract that's just
now a year old) that, if I have the keyboard-lock bug, that I'll have to
revert to buggy old 2.3 until 2.5 is available?? Yeesh.

What ever happened to the concept that a software vendor was selling
basically working stuff, and users that experienced documented problems
could get them fixed in accordance with the above premise? Why should I
have to pay $150/year to get a working system?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!    (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.