[comp.unix.microport] Connecting Xenix with the outside world

tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) (12/30/88)

I keep hearing people ask about ethernet and usenet, and keep seeing people
who's Xenix system is a valid internet address.  My question is, what does
it take to connect a Xenix system to the outside world?  We are looking at
ethernet options, but right now we have only extension dispatched phone
lines.  What kind of set up do people have to have so:  ONE, they may be
mailed to at their machine from people through uucp, internet, etc and
TWO, so they may access the usenet.

Thanks for any help,
	/dev/tuck  (tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu)

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/30/88)

In article <3423@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:
>I keep hearing people ask about ethernet and usenet, and keep seeing people
>who's Xenix system is a valid internet address.  My question is, what does
>it take to connect a Xenix system to the outside world?  We are looking at
>ethernet options, but right now we have only extension dispatched phone
>lines.  What kind of set up do people have to have so:  ONE, they may be
>mailed to at their machine from people through uucp, internet, etc and
>TWO, so they may access the usenet.

Getting onto usenet only requires a modem and some software, which as I'm
told is supplied by SCO at no cost. (you may need a better mailer than the
standard one, but archive sites carry those.)

Ethernet is a completely different story. Several companies offer "intelligent"
ethernet boards and software for Xenix, including TCP/IP, the "r"-commands
(rsh rlogin, ...) and ftp. I won't mention any names here as I don't want
to advertise any product I don't actually know.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |