[comp.unix.microport] Implementation of alloca

mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (12/23/88)

Does any one have an implementation of alloca() which will allocate
room on the stack and free it upon the return from a routine?
--
Mike Mitchell				BELL:	(505) 471-7639
2020 Calle Lorca #43			ARPA:	mdm@cocktrice.UUCP

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (12/28/88)

/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) /  9:03 am  Dec 22, 1988 /
>Does any one have an implementation of alloca() which will allocate
>room on the stack and free it upon the return from a routine?

	The GNU Awk (gawk) distribution includes an assembly implementation
for the 386.  Conversion to 286 is left as an excercise for the reader :->.

					Andy

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (12/28/88)

In article <10770010@hpcupt1.HP.COM> vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) writes:
>/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) /  9:03 am  Dec 22, 1988 /
>>Does any one have an implementation of alloca() which will allocate
>>room on the stack and free it upon the return from a routine?
>
>	The GNU Awk (gawk) distribution includes an assembly implementation
>for the 386.  Conversion to 286 is left as an excercise for the reader :->.
>
>					Andy

	Try linking in libPW from /lib/{small|large}.  It includes a
working alloca.  I have used it with gnu make, gnu diff, etc.

	Eric.

--
Eric Schnoebelen
egsner!eric@texbell.uucp			...!texbell!egsner!eric

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (12/30/88)

>/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) /  6:08 am  Dec 28, 1988 /
>>>Does any one have an implementation of alloca() which will allocate
>>>room on the stack and free it upon the return from a routine?
>
>	Try linking in libPW from /lib/{small|large}.  It includes a
>working alloca.  I have used it with gnu make, gnu diff, etc.

	This is the case for SCO XENIX.  Is it there for Microport?
I didn't find it in my MS-DOS C manual; did it make an appearance there,
and if so, where and at what version?

			Thanks...
			Andy

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (12/31/88)

In article <10770011@hpcupt1.HP.COM> vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM
(Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) writes:
->/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen)
(thats me!) /  6:08 am  Dec 28, 1988 /
->>>Does any one have an implementation of alloca() which will allocate
->>>room on the stack and free it upon the return from a routine?
->
-
-	This is the case for SCO XENIX.  Is it there for Microport?
-I didn't find it in my MS-DOS C manual; did it make an appearance there,
-and if so, where and at what version?
-
-			Thanks...
-			Andy

	Yup, This is true for Microport System V/AT and Microport System
V/386.  I don't think I have ever seen libPW in a MS-DOS C manual, but
Microsoft C 5.x does have alloca().

	Eric