[comp.unix.microport] how to order a V3.2 driver design manual

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (12/27/88)

A while ago, Dimitri Rotow of Bell Technologies posted the following:

]I recently responded to a question asking for information on writing
]device drivers by suggesting some AT&T publications.  Over 30 people
]have since posted me with a request for the AT&T 800 number to use.
]Here it is:
]
]To order AT&T documents, call their Customer Information Center at
]800-432-6600.  They take VISA and are very responsive.   The material
]you should order is:
]
]UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 Integrated Software Development Guide (ISDG)
]
]and the
]
]UNIX System V/386 Release 3, Block and Character Interface, Device Driver
]Reference Manual, Select Code 307-192.
]
]You are crazy to work on device driver sources without these two books.
]The ISDG in particular is one of the very best UNIX books ever written.
]It not only includes sources to floppy disk and other device drivers, it
]also provides a complete framework for installation scripts and other
]vital stuff.
]
]Even though this is targeted at UNIX 3.2, it should be useful to all working
]in current releases of Microport, 386/ix, and SCO.
]
]We reprint the ISDG with the manual set for UNIX 3.2.

I finally got around to try ordering these two manuals and called the
800 number.  The Device Driver Reference Manual was easy with the
select code, but they could not find the ISDG from the above title
(and missing a select code).  I called Bell Tech for a select code,
but they couldn't find one on their documentation.  (They suggested
I buy their version of V3.2...)  I sent email to Dimitri Rotow but
never got a reply back.

Does the Integrated Software Design Guide exist as an AT&T publication
available for sale separately?  Does anyone know a select code
to use for this ISDG?

Thanks alot,

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (01/03/89)

In article <363@siswat.UUCP>, buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
> A while ago, Dimitri Rotow of Bell Technologies posted the following:

[Repeat of my earlier posting deleted except for 800 number...]

> ]To order AT&T documents, call their Customer Information Center at
> ]800-432-6600.  They take VISA and are very responsive.   The material
>
> I finally got around to try ordering these two manuals and called the
> 800 number.  The Device Driver Reference Manual was easy with the
> select code, but they could not find the ISDG from the above title
> (and missing a select code).  I called Bell Tech for a select code,
> but they couldn't find one on their documentation.  (They suggested
> I buy their version of V3.2...)  I sent email to Dimitri Rotow but
> never got a reply back.
>
> Does the Integrated Software Design Guide exist as an AT&T publication
> available for sale separately?  Does anyone know a select code
> to use for this ISDG?
>
> A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

You know, I've gotten about 150 mail messages and over two dozen phone
calls on this issue.  Why is it that people expect us to function as
an 800 number information operator?

AT&T references its documents in many ways.  If you can't get to the
ISDG by that title only, try by asking for the documentation for their
UNIX Release 3.2 package.  If that mystifies the operator, work with
her/him a little.  Try "simultask" for WGS 6386 or a variety of other
AT&T nomenclature items.  We've never had any problems ordering ISDG
by calling the 800 numbers.  For the record, the listed select code
in *some* AT&T documents for the ISDG is 307-072.  This is no
guarantee that the CIS will have that select code in their computer.

If you can't figure out how to get this document from AT&T, call AT&T.
If you want to buy it from us, we can't sell it to you (since it is
UNIX licensed material and AT&T has given Prentice Hall an exclusive
on selling UNIX manuals outside of an association with a UNIX software
license) *unless* you also buy 3.2.  Their rules, not ours.

- dimitri rotow