[comp.unix.microport] Ramdisk usage on V/386

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/21/88)

    Has anyone came up with a procedure to format, mkfs, and mount
the Ram disk thats provided with V/386 ?

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (12/21/88)

In article <6515@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elwiz@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Chert Pellett) writes:
>In article <176@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>
>>    Has anyone came up with a procedure to format, mkfs, and mount
>>the Ram disk thats provided with V/386 ?
>>
>	Or better yet, Anyone got a way to get it out of the kernel?
>(If you can make it bigger, it might be worthwhile.)  I assume that
>it was put in to allow U-Port to boot from a write-protected floppy, and

The module's called ramd. You can comment it out in the atconf/systems/system.x
file and make a new kernel if you like or you can tweek with the atconf/modules-
ramd/space.c file to change its default size, then make a new kernel.

Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
Microport Systems
Technical Support

elwiz@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Chert Pellett) (12/22/88)

In article <176@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Has anyone came up with a procedure to format, mkfs, and mount
>the Ram disk thats provided with V/386 ?
>

>					John

	Or better yet, Anyone got a way to get it out of the kernel?
I would like to save the 32K that it uses for something useful..
(If you can make it bigger, it might be worthwhile.)  I assume that
it was put in to allow U-Port to boot from a write-protected floppy, and
then it wasn't elminiated from /etc/atconf like one would expect.

	(In other words: what module do I remove? Any problems removing it?)

	-- Chert Pellett

mwg@inxsvcs.UUCP (Phil Blecker) (12/23/88)

In article <6515@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elwiz@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Chert Pellett) writes:
> 	Or better yet, Anyone got a way to get it [RAM disk] out of the kernel?

I took ramd out of /etc/atconf/systems/system.std without any problems. There
appears to be a way to change the size of the "disk", but I don't want one
badly enough to figure it out. I figure the RAM would be put to better use
by UNIX than as an expensive fast diskette, personally.
--
Phil Blecker +1 818 243-3053           none of my ideas belong to me and
uunet!inxsvcs!mwg                      i can't see anything wrong with that

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (12/24/88)

In article <6515@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elwiz@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Chert Pellett) writes:

>	[concering the ram disk]  Anyone got a way to get it out of the kernel?
>I would like to save the 32K that it uses for something useful..
>(If you can make it bigger, it might be worthwhile.)  I assume that
>it was put in to allow U-Port to boot from a write-protected floppy, and
>then it wasn't elminiated from /etc/atconf like one would expect.
>
>	(In other words: what module do I remove? Any problems removing it?)
>
>	-- Chert Pellett

You can remove the "ramd" entry from your system file.  If you edit the
system.std configuration, you need only type "mkunix" to make a new kernel.
The new kernel will be in /etc/atconf/kernels.  It will be named unix.std.x
where x is some number.  If there is more than one, use the one with the
highest value for x.  Move /unix to /unix.old, then move the new kernel to
/unix.

You should perform this procedure in single user mode and reboot as soon as
you are done.  It is best to make a copy of your default system.std file
before you hack it up.

-brian
--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (01/05/89)

In article <144@inxsvcs.UUCP> mwg@inxsvcs.UUCP (Phil Blecker) writes:
>I took ramd out of /etc/atconf/systems/system.std without any problems. There
>appears to be a way to change the size of the "disk", but I don't want one

By changing a few things in the space.c of modules/ramd, the ram disk can be
configurable.