[comp.unix.microport] Where do crash dumps go on V/386 ?

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/28/88)

   I managed to panic my 386 system running V/386 while operating a
1500 watt amateur radio transmitter beside the computer. (Funny how
little things like this can bother it!) :-)  It came up telling me
it was saving a "crash" or "image" file containing 1532 pages. Then
waited for me to re-boot it.  Question:  where did it put this file ?
I assume it dumped it somewhere to disk ?  I would like to remove it.

   I used to operate my old 286 running V/AT under the same circumstances.
Guess its time to break out the ferrite beads and chokes
and go RF-proofing! With this kind of near-field, it is very sensitive
to cable placement. The 286 paniced until I re-arranged the I/O cables.....
but thats another story for another Newsgroup. :-)

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (12/28/88)

In article <183@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

> It came up telling me
> it was saving a "crash" or "image" file containing 1532 pages. Then
> waited for me to re-boot it.  Question:  where did it put this file ?
> I assume it dumped it somewhere to disk ?  I would like to remove it.
>
> John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
> 1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net
> Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

The crash image is for debug purposes only, and even that I have not
made work very satisfactorily.  The kernel image is saved to the swap
partition on the hard disk.   When you reboot you have the option of
saving the image to tape for later analysis or you can simply boot
over the saved image.  Doing post-mortem on a crash image is not for
the weak of heart.  When you reboot, the swap partition is completely
re-initialized, so you needed worry about removing it:  its already
gone.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/06/89)

In article <183@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
:    I managed to panic my 386 system running V/386 while ...
:                                              It came up telling me
: it was saving a "crash" or "image" file containing 1532 pages. Then
: waited for me to re-boot it.  Question:  where did it put this file ?
: I assume it dumped it somewhere to disk ?  I would like to remove it.

It dumps it to your swap partition. If you want the dump, you copy
your swap partition to some file early in the boot sequence.
Otherwise, the dump just gets overwritten when the system wants the
swap space.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill