[comp.unix.microport] System Crash

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (12/27/88)

I'm running S/386 3.0e.  As a UNIX novice, I thought I would try out shell
layers the other day.  shl worked OK from the system console(s), but I thought
that this was uninteresting since I have virtual consoles there anyway.  So
I tried it from a tty port.  CRASH!  System mumbled something about dumping
stuff, diddled the disk awhile, then froze.  I had to hit the red button on the
front of the box.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
consoles?

--
Bill Michaelson - uh... princeton!mccc!cosi!bill, I think.
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/28/88)

In article <249@cosi.UUCP>, bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
> I'm running S/386 3.0e.  As a UNIX novice, I thought I would try out shell
> layers the other day.  shl worked OK from the system console(s), but I thought
> that this was uninteresting since I have virtual consoles there anyway.  So
> I tried it from a tty port.  CRASH!  System mumbled something about dumping
> stuff, diddled the disk awhile, then froze.  I had to hit the red button on th
> front of the box.  Has this happened to anyone else?

     I just posted a request also to know about this dump file. Mine was
  RFI-induced. :-)  I beleive that in the manual it says that while virtual
  consoles are un-available to remote terminals, shell layers are.

> Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
> consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
> consoles?

     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
  and you only need to do a "mknod" for each new device and add entries
  to /etc/inittab. The way uport has the gettys labelled for each virtual
  console, you might also want to get fancy and add a gettydef entry for
  each new virtual console you create. Otherwise, you can simple borrow
  one of the existing ones. Here are my /dev entries for my virtual
  consoles:

crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  1 Dec 28 06:49 cons1
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  2 Dec 27 21:49 cons2
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  3 Dec 27 21:49 cons3
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  4 Dec 27 21:49 cons4
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  5 Dec 27 21:49 cons5
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  6 Dec 27 21:49 cons6
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  7 Dec 27 21:49 cons7
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  8 Dec 27 21:49 cons8
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  9 Dec 27 22:23 cons9
crw--w--w-   3 root     sys       5,  0 Dec 28 06:49 console

    Hope this helps you out.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (01/01/89)

In article <184@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
] In article <249@cosi.UUCP>, bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
] >   Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10 virtual consoles?
] >
]
]      The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
]   10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
]   and you only need to do a "mknod" for each new device and add entries
]   to /etc/inittab. The way uport has the gettys labelled for each virtual
]   console, you might also want to get fancy and add a gettydef entry for
]   each new virtual console you create. Otherwise, you can simple borrow
]   one of the existing ones. Here are my /dev entries for my virtual
]   consoles:

I just tried that - I did a mknod for cons4, and created an entry for virtcon4
in gettydefs.  When I add the getty to inittab, I get repeated "error 6" from
the getty.  Something I forgot?  Where do I look up what error 6 means?

--

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/01/89)

>> Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
>> consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
>> consoles?
>>

>     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
>  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
>  and you only need to do a "mknod" for each new device and add entries
>  to /etc/inittab. The way uport has the gettys labelled for each virtual
>  console, you might also want to get fancy and add a gettydef entry for
>  each new virtual console you create. Otherwise, you can simple borrow
>  one of the existing ones. Here are my /dev entries for my virtual
>  consoles:

> crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  4 Dec 27 21:49 cons4
> crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  5 Dec 27 21:49 cons5
> crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  6 Dec 27 21:49 cons6
> crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  7 Dec 27 21:49 cons7
>                     John

    Ok, So I executed `mknod cons4 c 5 4' Added a getty into the /etc/inittab
and guess what? I got a bunch of errors on the console...about not
being able to open it......

    Do I have to bring the System down or what?

        -- Chert Pellett

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/02/89)

In article <1700004@spdyne>, root@spdyne.UUCP writes:

> >> Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
> >> consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
> >> consoles?
> >>
> >     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
> >  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
>
>     Ok, So I executed `mknod cons4 c 5 4' Added a getty into the /etc/inittab
> and guess what? I got a bunch of errors on the console...about not
> being able to open it......
>
>     Do I have to bring the System down or what?

    You should not have to bring the system down. The only exception
to what you and I are doing is that I did not use the plain vanilla
kernel that came with the system. I immediately generated a kernel
with the Everex Tape driver, rebooted and then added the extra
consoles. I did not do anything in linkkit to enable them. It is
possible that the kernel which linkkit generates is slightly different
than the released one. All I then did was the mknod for each, enable
them in inittab, add them to gettydefs, and do an "init q". Try
"mkunix" and then use that kernel. Unless someone on here knows
specifically that the distribution kernel differs from the one linkkit
makes.

					John

--

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (01/04/89)

In article <195@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>> >     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
>> >  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
>>
>>     Ok, So I executed `mknod cons4 c 5 4' Added a getty into the /etc/inittab
>> and guess what? I got a bunch of errors on the console...about not
>> being able to open it......
>>
>>     Do I have to bring the System down or what?
>>

>    You should not have to bring the system down. The only exception
>to what you and I are doing is that I did not use the plain vanilla
>kernel that came with the system. I immediately generated a kernel
>with the Everex Tape driver, rebooted and then added the extra
>consoles. I did not do anything in linkkit to enable them. It is
[...]

Use patch to look at a kernel variable called 'kd_numttys'.  I This
is (I think) the maximum number of virtual consoles.  It is set in the
linkkit to be 32.  It may however only be four in the distributed
version.

-brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/06/89)

In reference to the virtual consoles question:

>>>     Do I have to bring the System down or what?
>>>

>>    You should not have to bring the system down. The only exception
>>to what you and I are doing is that I did not use the plain vanilla
>>kernel that came with the system. I immediately generated a kernel
>>with the Everex Tape driver, rebooted and then added the extra
>>consoles. I did not do anything in linkkit to enable them. It is
>[...]
>
>Use patch to look at a kernel variable called 'kd_numttys'.  I This
>is (I think) the maximum number of virtual consoles.  It is set in the
>linkkit to be 32.  It may however only be four in the distributed
>version.
>
>-brian

	Well, no luck, I too don't have a plain vanilla system, I have linked
in a Digi-board driver for additional comm ports.. (Comm/Xi board). I looked
at that variable and it came back 0x20 or 32 just like yours. So what do
I try next?

	- Chert Pellett
	root@spdyne

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu

/* End of text from spdyne:uport */