[comp.unix.microport] /dev/dsk for TWO fdisk partitions

jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) (12/30/88)

I plan to purchase a 200M drive for a 286 based uPort system.

4 file systems on this drive is insufficient for my needs,
so I wish to use fdisk to create 2 disk partitions, and then
to divvy each partition into 4 filsys's.

1/	Will it work

2/	What are the correct parameters for the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk
	special files that will be needed

  | Jeff Tate              |     2425 Pandora Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada  |
  | van-bc!softop!jeff     |                                 (604) 254-4583  |

jim@fsc2086.FSC.COM (Jim O'Connor) (01/07/89)

In article <228@softop.UUCP>, jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
> I plan to purchase a 200M drive for a 286 based uPort system.
>
> 4 file systems on this drive is insufficient for my needs,
> so I wish to use fdisk to create 2 disk partitions, and then
> to divvy each partition into 4 filsys's.

Just out of curiousity, what application would need or require 8 separate
25Meg filesystems?

> 1/	Will it work

I don't know if you can do it, but I have a suspicion you may have trouble
mounting 9 filesystems (the 8 on this drive, plus at least /dev/root), unless
you re-link the kernel and specify a larger maximum mounted file system
number.  Since the data structures pertaining to mounted file systems are
fairly large, this may not be easy, if your kernel is already close to the
max size allowable.

--jim
-------------
James B. O'Connor				jim@FSC.COM
Filtration Sciences Corp.			+1 615 821 4022 x651
105 W. 45th St. - Chattanooga, TN 37409

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (01/09/89)

In article <228@softop.UUCP>, jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
> I plan to purchase a 200M drive for a 286 based uPort system.
>
> 4 file systems on this drive is insufficient for my needs,
> so I wish to use fdisk to create 2 disk partitions, and then
> to divvy each partition into 4 filsys's.
>
> 1/	Will it work

No, you only can subpartition one partition.  You don't get the minor device
numbers for more than that.
I would attempt only 6 (or 7) filesystems on one disk.  Three (root, tmp, usr)
on the active partition, and one each one the other 3 (You only have 4 total)
inactive partitions.  I'm not sure putting a file system in the swap
subpartition is a good idea, and would be impossible on the first drive.

WARNING: Microport only knows what will happen to a bad block on an
inactive partition.

> 2/	What are the correct parameters for the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk
> 	special files that will be needed

See WN(7).  0s0, 0s2, 0s3, 0s[6789] (or 1s0, etc.). They should already
exist.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!