[comp.unix.microport] SVID

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) (01/09/89)

>Thank God no! It is still SCO Xenix, but it has been somewhat extended
>to be able to run 386-Unix binaries. It is supposed to become more SVID
>compliant too I believe.

Point of clarification:  please correct me if I am wrong, but my
understanding of SVID is that you are either SVID compliant or you are
not.  Being 'more compliant' is like being 'more pregnant'.

Is this not correct?

   ...ken

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (01/09/89)

In article <17801@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

 >>Thank God no! It is still SCO Xenix, but it has been somewhat extended
 >>to be able to run 386-Unix binaries. It is supposed to become more SVID
 >>compliant too I believe.
 >>

 >Point of clarification:  please correct me if I am wrong, but my
 >understanding of SVID is that you are either SVID compliant or you are
 >not.  Being 'more compliant' is like being 'more pregnant'.
 >
 >Is this not correct?

Well, complying with a standard is really not quite the same as being
pregnant. Apart from AT&T's contractual language and interpretation, it
is well possible to call something "more" or "less" compliant, or maybe
a better terminology would be "closer to" the standard. So, for example,
System V is closer to POSIX than Version 7; the merged UNIX/XENIX release
is closer to SVID than previous XENIX releases.

If you do wish to use pregnancy as an example, a woman in her eighth month
is closer to giving birth than a woman in her second week, even though
they are both equally pregnant.

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD