[comp.unix.microport] Setkey problem...

elwiz@spdyne..UUCP (12/31/88)

Greetings,

    I have sent this 8 ways to try to get it into uport... INCLUDING
directly connecting to uport!  No response...

    Anyway, Try the following:

        1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
           Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.

        2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.

        3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
           <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
           a setkey -d on the console!...

        This seems to happen when you login to ANY of the consoles...a real pain
        in the ... if you are expecting your function keys to do something
        useful.

    -- Chert Pellett

PS: Do you guys ever respond to mail anymore??? I have sent it DIRECTLY into
your system via direct connection and STILL haven't gotten any response!
(over a month ago!)... If you want to put spdyne into your systems file, then
queue the mail directly to me, that would be fine...  I would like SOME response
to my mail though!  If I don't get anything back on this I will post it to
comp.microport.  I will give ya 3 weeks to respond.. (It use to take ya about
4 or 5 days tops... What the heck happened?  Why is Your mail system so messed
up?  It looks bad for your product to have your mail screwed up....

    [I gave them 2 months....]

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/01/89)

In article <1700002@spdyne>, elwiz@spdyne..UUCP writes:

>     Anyway, Try the following:
>
>         1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
>            Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.
>
>         2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
>
>         3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
>            <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
>            a setkey -d on the console!...

	I'm unsure which version of Microport your running. V/AT ? V/386 ?

        I am using V/386 3.0Ue here and I have tried the above
    experiment and it works okay. I put something like 'ps -ef' on
    function key F1 and F10. I then switched to another virtual
    console and logged in. Both of the function keys still performed
    the 'ps -ef'.  Hummmmm.......

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/03/89)

> >     Anyway, Try the following:
> >
> >         1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
> >            Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.
> >
> >         2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
> >
> >         3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
> >            <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
> >            a setkey -d on the console!...
> >

> I'm unsure which version of Microport your running. V/AT ? V/386 ?
>
>         I am using V/386 3.0Ue here and I have tried the above
>     experiment and it works okay. I put something like 'ps -ef' on
>     function key F1 and F10. I then switched to another virtual
>     console and logged in. Both of the function keys still performed
>     the 'ps -ef'.  Hummmmm.......

	I guess that I forgot to include that I'm running the DOS-Merge Kernel.
	[3.0e - Unlimited] With a Digi-Board 8 port Int. Comm. controller.

On a Compaq 386/20 if that matters...  It consistantly does this..
And I have 13 things defined....(Does this matter??)

	-- Chert Pellett

Also, It would be nice if U-Port would compile ALL programs that use floating
point under gcc so that THEY WOULD WORK!!  (Awk fails on my machine - Dumps
core).. Specific to the Compaq I'm told...Any chance I can get a floppy with
all system utilities recompiled using gcc?  (Any floating point in the kernel?
[I doubt it, but then who knows?.. DOS-Merge is rather slow...]

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (01/04/89)

In article <1700002@spdyne>, elwiz@spdyne..UUCP writes:

> Greetings,
>
>     I have sent this 8 ways to try to get it into uport... INCLUDING
> directly connecting to uport!  No response...

My guess is that are in fact not reaching a read account.  Are you using the
"techs" account or are you going direct?  Microport does reply to mail or
else they would see a lot more of this type of flame.  (Which was quite common
not all that long ago.)

>         1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
>            Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.
>         2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
>         3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
>            <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
>            a setkey -d on the console!...
>      This seems to happen when you login to ANY of the consoles...a real pain
>      in the ... if you are expecting your function keys to do something
>      useful.
>     -- Chert Pellett

I feel (as apparently so does Microport) that an ioctl to one console device
should not affect ALL console devices.  (Just as NDELAY on ttys should affect
only the tty set with NDELAY and not all ttys or even all fds open to that tty.)

This behavior (albeit not exactly what you had in mind) is correct and should
stay the way it is.  (How difficult is it to simulate using what is correct
behavior to make things be the way you want?  My guess is a three line shell
script.)

Good luck.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (01/04/89)

In article <1700002@spdyne> elwiz@spdyne..UUCP writes:
>        1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
>        2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
>        3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise!

On my System V/AT system (2.4), the function key produces the "echo hello^M"
string everywhere.  Now, whether this is a good idea or not is something else;
one might argue that function keys mappings should correspond to the
virtual terminals.  Then again, one might not.  At any rate, the global
setting seems to work fine.

>PS: Do you guys ever respond to mail anymore??? I have sent it DIRECTLY into
>your system via direct connection and STILL haven't gotten any response!

Sounds exactly like some comments that I made a couple of months ago.
Microport DID CLAIM that they welcomed direct connections for mail.  I
polled for a while, sent direct mail several times, and got no responses.
Of course, they were busy with various new releases at the time.  Perhaps
things will be better now.  There's always hope.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/05/89)

>I wrote:
>>

>> Greetings,
>>
>>     I have sent this 8 ways to try to get it into uport... INCLUDING
>> directly connecting to uport!  No response...
>
>My guess is that are in fact not reaching a read account.  Are you using the
>"techs" account or are you going direct?  Microport does reply to mail or
>else they would see a lot more of this type of flame.  (Which was quite common
>not all that long ago.)

    Well, I sent it to the following accounts: techs, plocher, jmsully.
    all at uport, with no luck.. (this was a couple of months ago, and
    I was giving them time to respond, not knowing how overloaded their
    time may be...)

Refering to the original question:  (Setkey)

>I feel (as apparently so does Microport) that an ioctl to one console device
>should not affect ALL console devices.  (Just as NDELAY on ttys should affect
>only the tty set with NDELAY and not all ttys or even all fds open to that tty.)
>
>This behavior (albeit not exactly what you had in mind) is correct and should
>stay the way it is.  (How difficult is it to simulate using what is correct
>behavior to make things be the way you want?  My guess is a three line shell
>script.)
>
>Good luck.
>   David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.

    Did I miss something here?  You say that executing login on a DIFFERENT
console terminal SHOULD Zap all of the setkey assignments on the console and
every other /dev/cons*?!!?   And the back it up with some something about
ONLY affecting the ONE console device that it was executed on??  I don't
understand. Did you understand my original question?

I think that it should work AS DOCUMENTED: if executed on the console it
will affect all consoles, if executed on a virt. console, it will affect
ONLY that console.

    After some more checking, I found that if you execute setkey -d on
any console, it will clear all of them.  It seems that the other bug
that I had, namely that reassigning a key that was once assigned causing
it to scramble all of the assignments, no longer is a problem. (Now that
I have upgraded to 3.0E.  To fix the problem with it scrambling the
assignments, I had a setkey -d in my .login (Before all of the other
setkey's, I have fixed this by only executing setkey on the console.. but..
it still is broken.)

    -Chert Pellett

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/05/89)

>I wrote:
>>

>> Greetings,
>>
>>     I have sent this 8 ways to try to get it into uport... INCLUDING
>> directly connecting to uport!  No response...
>
>My guess is that are in fact not reaching a read account.  Are you using the
>"techs" account or are you going direct?  Microport does reply to mail or
>else they would see a lot more of this type of flame.  (Which was quite common
>not all that long ago.)

    Well, I sent it to the following accounts: techs, plocher, jmsully.
    all at uport, with no luck.. (this was a couple of months ago, and
    I was giving them time to respond, not knowing how overloaded their
    time may be...)

>>         1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
>>            Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.
>>         2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
>>         3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
>>            <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
>>            a setkey -d on the console!...
>>      This seems to happen when you login to ANY of the consoles...a real pain
>>      in the ... if you are expecting your function keys to do something
>>      useful.
>
>I feel (as apparently so does Microport) that an ioctl to one console device
>should not affect ALL console devices.  (Just as NDELAY on ttys should affect
>only the tty set with NDELAY and not all ttys or even all fds open to that tty.)
>
>This behavior (albeit not exactly what you had in mind) is correct and should
>stay the way it is.  (How difficult is it to simulate using what is correct
>behavior to make things be the way you want?  My guess is a three line shell
>script.)
>
>Good luck.
>   David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.

    Did I miss something here?  You say that executing login on a DIFFERENT
console terminal SHOULD Zap all of the setkey assignments on the console and
every other /dev/cons*?!!?   And the back it up with some sorta bunk about
ONLY affecting the ONE console device that it was executed on??  I don't
understand.  Do you?

    As for the how difficult is it to simulate.. I would have to reexecute
the setkey assignements on the console EVERY time someone loggs into the
virtual console port.  True, I have a command to do this now, but really

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (01/06/89)

In article <1700006@spdyne> root@spdyne.UUCP writes:
>	I guess that I forgot to include that I'm running the DOS-Merge Kernel.
>	[3.0e - Unlimited] With a Digi-Board 8 port Int. Comm. controller.
>
>On a Compaq 386/20 if that matters...  It consistantly does this..
>And I have 13 things defined....(Does this matter??)
>
>Also, It would be nice if U-Port would compile ALL programs that use floating
>point under gcc so that THEY WOULD WORK!!  (Awk fails on my machine - Dumps
>core).. Specific to the Compaq I'm told...Any chance I can get a floppy with

Call up tech support. We have a fix for people with (Compaqs, no coprocessor,
Merge kernel).

Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
Microport Systems
Technical Support

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/18/89)

ken@uport.UUCP writes:

> In article <1700006@spdyne> root@spdyne.UUCP writes:
> >	I guess that I forgot to include that I'm running the DOS-Merge Kernel.
> >	[3.0e - Unlimited] With a Digi-Board 8 port Int. Comm. controller.
> >
> >On a Compaq 386/20 if that matters...  It consistantly does this..
> >And I have 13 things defined....(Does this matter??)
> >
> >Also, It would be nice if U-Port would compile ALL programs that use floating
> >point under gcc so that THEY WOULD WORK!!  (Awk fails on my machine - Dumps
> >core).. Specific to the Compaq I'm told...Any chance I can get a floppy with
>
> Call up tech support. We have a fix for people with (Compaqs, no coprocessor,
> Merge kernel).
>
> Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
> Microport Systems
> Technical Support

	I did, I also sent mail to 'ken@uport', and uport!ken (Direct connection)
I got both of them bounced onto my machine on the same day.  Is the mail
router on "uport" screwed up? (still?)

	Anyway, I called for the update, asked it to be sent ASAP. I haven't
seen anything yet.. I called around the 10th...  I had asked ken in the
mail to him to queue whatever changes were needed to my system off uport
and I would call and pay for the call...But as usual, I couldn't get
mail to be liked by uport.

	Still waiting,

		Chert Pellett
		root@spdyne