[comp.unix.microport] help with modem needed

menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) (01/11/89)

I need some help connecting a modem to a compac 386 running microport
3.0e.  I am using the serial port that in the dos world is COM1, ttyM00.
I have uugetty respawning on the line, and I have set the modem to auto
answer mode (it is a hayes compatible).  The problem I am having is that
whenever I dial in to the system the modem answers the phone but doesn't
talk at all.  So my conections time out.  I really need to be able to
call in to this system, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Randy
--
Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	play: 408-991-0249

john@smosjc.UUCP (John Conover) (01/11/89)

In article <11004@quacky.mips.COM>, menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
> I need some help connecting a modem to a compac 386 running microport
> 3.0e.  I am using the serial port that in the dos world is COM1, ttyM00.
> I have uugetty respawning on the line, and I have set the modem to auto
> answer mode (it is a hayes compatible).  The problem I am having is that
> whenever I dial in to the system the modem answers the phone but doesn't
> talk at all.  So my conections time out.  I really need to be able to
> call in to this system, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same trouble with Bell Technologies 3.0/3.1. Try cu'ing your
computer from an external terminal over the modem. In my case, no
login: prompt was issued, and of course any scripts in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems
would fail. I found a work around. The first time you make a connection,
dial out on your computer to the other machine. Then it seems to work
fine in both directions. Don't know why, but I am suspicious of the
respawn in inittabs. Another thing to check is that your Systems file
looks like:

theirsys ACU theirbaud theirphnumber "" \r gin:--gin: theirlog word: theirword

where the "" \r is important according to the docs.

	John

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/11/89)

In article <11004@quacky.mips.COM>, menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
> I need some help connecting a modem to a compac 386 running microport
> 3.0e.  I am using the serial port that in the dos world is COM1, ttyM00.
> I have uugetty respawning on the line, and I have set the modem to auto

    I would try simply using /etc/getty for spawning the login to the
modem. I beleive that uugetty is only required when you have direct
connects, etc. I'm using 3.0e here with several modems and use ttyM0x
without any problems. Make sure a "ps -ef" shows a getty running on each
of the ports you have enabled in /etc/inittab.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/12/89)

In article <104@smosjc.UUCP> john@smosjc.UUCP (John Conover) writes:
: In article <11004@quacky.mips.COM>, menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
: > I need some help connecting a modem to a compac 386 running microport
: > 3.0e.  I am using the serial port that in the dos world is COM1, ttyM00.
: > I have uugetty respawning on the line, and I have set the modem to auto

Uugetty is likely to be the problem. According to John Plocher at
Microport, one should not use uugetty. Use getty instead.

Here is my inittab line:

M0:23:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM00 9600H # dial in line

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (01/14/89)

In article <11004@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
>I need some help connecting a modem to a compac 386 running microport
>3.0e.  I am using the serial port that in the dos world is COM1, ttyM00.
>I have uugetty respawning on the line, and I have set the modem to auto
>answer mode (it is a hayes compatible).  The problem I am having is that
>whenever I dial in to the system the modem answers the phone but doesn't
>talk at all.  So my conections time out.  I really need to be able to
>call in to this system, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My advice is to forget uugetty and run an /etc/getty on the ttyM00 device

Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
Microport Systems
Technical Support

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/15/89)

	[ ... about using uutty or getty on Microport ... ]

While it is true that uutty was *primarily* written by J.Chambers to
be able to use the same line for incoming and outgoing calls under
*Xenix*, and that this can be accomplished much more neatly under
Microport by using the tty[mM]?, uutty still has some advantages,
for example logging, and the fact that you have sources and can
customize it. It is also _marginally_ faster, as it does both getty
and login in one go.

In any case, even with uutty it is simpler to use the tty[mM]? mechanism
for arbitrating between incoming and outgoing calls, unless you have a
really exotic setup.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi	   | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth	   | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

hsu@kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) (01/18/89)

In article <508@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>Microport by using the tty[mM]?, uutty still has some advantages,

Where to get it from in Europe? I got very old version from usenet but
it didn't work and I never saw patches posted, though I might have
missed them.  I tried to mail the author but got no answer, maybe it
got lost on trip, I have had trouble with mail often.

jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) (01/19/89)

> 	[ ... about using uutty or getty on Microport ... ]
>
> ... stuff deleted ...
>
> In any case, even with uutty it is simpler to use the tty[mM]? mechanism
> for arbitrating between incoming and outgoing calls, unless you have a
> really exotic setup.

I keep reading that this is possible.  Will some kind soul plz explain
how.  E-mail and I will summarise if vol. warrants.

  | Jeff Tate              |     2425 Pandora Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada  |
  | van-bc!softop!jeff     |                                 (604) 254-4583  |