[comp.unix.microport] Jetroff and V/386

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/12/89)

     Are any of you net-readers out there currently using Jetroff
with a HPLJII and Microport V/386 ?

     Are there any other groups/forums where active discussions on
Jetroff's installation and use are being discussed ?

     My problem seems to be final installation. The code compiles and
installs cleanly for me. But I lack sufficient DWB knowledge to
figure out the steps right at the end of installation on fine-
tuning the djet/jetroff.sh so it operates correctly with lp. On my
initial attemp I got it to run but when using it to send stuff to the
LaserJet II, all I got was garbage and a few graphic characters. So
I'm certain I was configuring it incorrectly.

     I'm using uport V/386 3.0e with the LJII as lp. If anyone out there
has gone through setting it up and can mail me some pointers I sure
would appreciate it. Thanks.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

nat@bales.UUCP (Nathaniel Stitt) (01/18/89)

Can anyone suggest a good source for a HPLJII printer?  I plan to get Jetroff
as soon as I can find the best deal on a printer.  The lowest price I have
seen is $1698 at Jade.

nat@bales

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/18/89)

In article <205@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>      Are any of you net-readers out there currently using Jetroff
> with a HPLJII and Microport V/386 ?

Yes.  On V/386 3.0e, but i'm using remote lps....

>      My problem seems to be final installation. The code compiles and
> installs cleanly for me. But I lack sufficient DWB knowledge to
> figure out the steps right at the end of installation on fine-
> tuning the djet/jetroff.sh so it operates correctly with lp. On my
> initial attemp I got it to run but when using it to send stuff to the
> LaserJet II, all I got was garbage and a few graphic characters. So
> I'm certain I was configuring it incorrectly.

I have been able to get jetroff to generate ljet code fine; all i did to the
jetroff shell was change the following fragment in that shell:

troff="troff -Tjet"	# Troff command
troff_opts=		# Troff options
djet=djet		# djet postprocessor
djet_opts=		# djet options
lp=lp			# line printer spooler
lp_opts=-or,ehplaserjet	# spooler options (raw output, no CR/NL mapping)
	  ^ ^
	  | | emulation is hplaserjet

	  raw output (no munging)

It obviously depends a lot on what your lp interface does to the file.  For
example if you driver insists on inserting an extra lf here or there, you won't
get what you want.  You need a truly "raw" interface, or at least be able to
select that option (like i can, above).
Look in ~lp/interfaces/<printer_name> to see what it does with its input file
and make sure it is benign.

In my particular case, i have been able to send this output, by hand (don't ask
me why -- its a real tear-jerker story (:-(), to a ti omni-laser and have it
come out quite nicely.  I can't seem to get it to come out at all on a Unisys
model 37 printer in laserjet mode.  I have a feeling that its not emulating the
laserjet correctly.

Thus, much as i want to use this product, i haven't been able to very much
since the thought of hand feeding a printer with the output of jetroff doesn't
appeal to me a great deal and i can't get it working correctly with an
"automatic" printer.....  sigh.  It does work, though!
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (01/20/89)

In article <203@bales.UUCP> nat@bales.UUCP (Nathaniel Stitt) writes:

>Can anyone suggest a good source for a HPLJII printer?  I plan to get Jetroff
>as soon as I can find the best deal on a printer.  The lowest price I have
>seen is $1698 at Jade.

Be careful when you shop for LJ II's that you find out whether or not
the price includes a toner cartridge.  Many places are trying to
advertise the lowest prices and have unbundled the price of the toner
cartridge.  Also, retail computer stores here in the NY area have
prices on LJ II's that rival mail order.  I bought a LJ II in 1987
for $1700 with toner cart and tax at a retail computer store no more
than 3 miles away.  The peace of mind knowing that I could return it
was worth the extra $50.  The best price I've seen is $1565 (but I
don't know if that was "with or without").

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2