[comp.unix.microport] 286->386SX ENIX

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (01/16/89)

  Ok, It seems I got alot of mail on Enix (Everex UNIX) so I will sum
  up what happened in the Jan PC-UNIX Sig meeting.

  The company Everex Inc, located in Fremont, Ca. now sells
  'ENIX Ver5.3' which is the licensed 3.2 version of ATT UNIX3.2.
  Everex just wanted to name it ENIX to identify with them.

  First the good news. The two user package only cost $299.00.
  That means you can have one console login and two other
  serial port login's I guess. So how do they get away with it
  so cheap. They don't include the manuals. The do include the
  manuals on the installation of coarse. This is how they claim
  to market it so cheap. If your a developer I guess you would
  by the ATT's version with complete manuals than ENIX for the
  customers. Or you can hit the local book store.

  Here's what they said was in the package:

  The operating system.
  The text processing package.
  X-windows V11.2
  The C-compilier.

  They offer free support, they claim to have 30 to 40 employee's
  in the department. What kind of machine's will it run on.
  386 clones and the ATT 6336 (I think). For that fact ATT's
  3.2 runs on a 386 Clone. I haven't run the package myself
  but the first person that dos I hope they write about who
  wrote the "window manager" for the X-windows. What types
  of drivers they supply.

  The other prices:

  499.00 ---- Unlimited user version includes everything above
	      only you can have unlimited users logged in.

  699.00 ---- OS and Text Processing Manuals included.

  Now for the bad news:

   They don't have a Simul-Task yet, but they did indicate that
   the hooks are in the kernal for this.

   TCP/IP was not included in the package but they did say they
   where working on it.
			Opinion
   This is what I would like to see. An 386SX adptor board that
   could plug into my AT that has cache, that will run this
   version of Unix. Or any other.  Everex claimed that it ran on there
   AT1800 series AT that has one of these adaptor boards in
   it. Of coarse it dosn't have cache. I thought I read somewhere
   that the company "G2" is makeing a 386SX chip set with cache.
   If someone comes out with such a board for about 500 and the
   unix software cost about 500 it's time for me to upgrade.
   I would like to hear from anyone how has experience upgradeing
   there exsisting 286 motherboard in this way.

   I don't have the number off hand for Everex, it's at home.
   I will post it on my bbs in the bulletin section.
   The bbs number is 415-796-3686.

   ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

leech@zeta.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (01/17/89)

In article <1203@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>   I don't have the number off hand for Everex, it's at home.

    Brian Brinkerhaus	415-683-ENIX
    Everex Sales	800-821-0806

    Brinkerhaus is sales manager (or similar position) for ENIX. He
seems to know what he is talking about.
    Followups to comp.unix.microport only (seems most appropriate).
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``You looked so innocent and vulnerable, I wanted to use

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/19/89)

Does anybody know how generic Everex's Enix port of Sys V is?  I've
set up SCO Xenix and Microport's V/AT on a number of systems and
have been bitten by disk controller cards a couple of times and an
EGA card on one occasion.

I strongly suggest that you look at what hardware you've got,
especially the hard disk controller and video board, then call the
vendor to find out if their kernel can be configured to support
what you have.  Unix variant kernels may write directly into the
registers of the hard disk controller chip.  If you have some sort
of RLL, SCSI, or other drive, you may be S.O.L. because the msdos
ROM BIOS (for obvious reasons) isn't there to hide whatever
vulgarities may be present in the controller card once the boot
record has been read in.  I hope their phone support is as willing
and able as was suggested in the original posting; without the
manuals, they'll surely have calls.

I'd be just about ready to whip out my check book if the text
processing stuff including troff and friends are there for $299.
That would be quite a good value.  I'm skeptical though about
getting troff, as AT&T seems to have split that part of the
documentors workbench off of the standard Unix development kit.
There are a number of vendors (Elan, Softquad, etc) that have troff
and HP laser support separately.  I haven't seen a troff package
that looked real enticing for less than ~$400 (US) yet.

It'll be interesting to hear more about Enix.  The price is right,
and it has a reasonably big marketer behind it.

--Bill
  return mail path:  wtm@impulse.UUCP
                     ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (01/22/89)

In article <1469@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>record has been read in.  I hope their phone support is as willing
>and able as was suggested in the original posting; without the
>manuals, they'll surely have calls.

The manuals are available from Everex for an extra $200.  You can
get the same manuals in a different binding for around $120 at your
local computer book store.

>I'd be just about ready to whip out my check book if the text
>processing stuff including troff and friends are there for $299.
>That would be quite a good value.  I'm skeptical though about
>getting troff, as AT&T seems to have split that part of the
>documentors workbench off of the standard Unix development kit.

The way I heard it from the marketing rep, they use a DWB "clone".
I have no idea how well it works.

--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!{lll-winken|ubvax}!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb

leech@zeta.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (01/22/89)

In article <424@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>The manuals are available from Everex for an extra $200.  You can
>get the same manuals in a different binding for around $120 at your
>local computer book store.

    I priced the Sys V/386 manuals (complete set) for slightly over
$300 at the campus bookstore here. Where can I buy them for $120?
N.B.: This was including all the thin and terribly overpriced ones
like 'Streams Programmers Guide'.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.''