[comp.unix.microport] need help with modem, the saga continues

menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) (01/17/89)

I want to thank everyone that has responded to me, twice now, but ...
Ahem, at the risk of sounding redundant, I am still experienceing
trouble setting up a modem for dial-in capability.

To recap:

machine:
	Compac 386, running microport 3.0e

modem:
	hayes compatable.

in my inittab I have the following entry,

	m0:23:respawn:/etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400	# modem on COM1

in /etc/gettydefs I have,

	2400# B2400 OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXANY ECHO \
ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD # B2400 OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IGNPAR \
ISTRIP IXON IXANY ECHO ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD HUPCL \
#Menna & Menna\nlogin: #2400

I have programed the modem for the following:
	auto-answer			( after 1 ring )
	command echo off		( ATE0 )
	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
	  from remote modem, "on"
	  condition indicates presence
	  of a carrier
	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )
	  when detecting an on to off
	  DTR transition. (current settings
	  are over written with ones in
	  nvram)

modem lights on front panel that are on:
	mr	modem ready
	hs	high speed
	aa	auto answer

/dev/ttyM00 has 766 permissions, owned by root, group sys.

THE PROBLEMS I'M STILL HAVING:

    When I have the getty spawned, it appears that it still talks
    to the modem incescently.  The tx/rx lights on the front panel
    of the modem flicker.  The cd (carrier detect) light never comes
    on.

    I do not see any "login"'s are starting from the modem/computer
    interaction, (I used to see this problem), but after I while I get
    warnings on the console:

    "init: process respawning too rapidly, check for possible errors:
    /etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400"

    The modem does not even answer the phone now, whereas before it used
    to answer but not talk.  I am getting a new modem (same model) on
    wednesday, in case due to some chance that I have a hardware problem
    with the modem.

    At this point I'm stuck, I thought that I understood what needed to
    be done and that it wouldn't be that difficult.  Can some kind soul
    out there point me in the right direction.

    Any clue's whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.  I really, really
    need to get this working. Much thanks, and my undieing gratitude if
    you can help me.

-randy
--
Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	play: 408-991-0249

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (01/18/89)

According to menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna):
>Ahem, at the risk of sounding redundant, I am still experienceing
>trouble setting up a modem for dial-in capability.
>
>I have programed the modem for the following:
>	auto-answer			( after 1 ring )
>	command echo off		( ATE0 )
>	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
>	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )

One important setting that you've forgotten:  ATQ1 ("be quiet").  Without
this option, the modem talks: "OK", "ERROR", "RING", "CONNECT", etc.
Verbose modems are not conducive to error-free logins.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

raw@ushiva.UUCP (Roland Wilcher) (01/18/89)

In article <11322@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
>I have programed the modem for the following:
>	auto-answer			( after 1 ring )
>	command echo off		( ATE0 )
>	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
>	  from remote modem, "on"
>	  condition indicates presence
>	  of a carrier
>	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )
>	  when detecting an on to off
>	  DTR transition. (current settings
>	  are over written with ones in
>	  nvram)

I have a Practical peripheral modem 2400 wich seems to be pretty
much hayes compatable. The only real differance between what you
have and what I have is &D2 Instead of &D3. I also use the infamous
uugetty so I can poll machines and support logins on the same line.
Sounds kinda like getty doesnt know theres no carrier. Cables ?

---
Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.         raw@neologic%hal.crwu.edu
                                                {hal,decvax}!ncoast!ushiva!raw
                                                             Roland A. Wilcher

ken@uport.UUCP (Ken Chapin) (01/19/89)

In article <11322@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:

>    "init: process respawning too rapidly, check for possible errors:
>    /etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400"

This sounds like the kernel doesn't know how to open up the tty port due to
something like not having the appropriate io address of the hardware. What I
would do in this situation is 1) do a "ttypatch -d -t0" to see what the kernel
knows about the ttyport. This command will come back with an address and a few
other things. 2) Make sure your serial hardware is configured such that it
matches what the kernel thinks via jumpers, dip switches, etc... If this is not
the problem, then there is a good chance that it is a hardware problem.

Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
Microport Systems
Technical Support

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (01/19/89)

In article <11322@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
        [lots of useful info about his problem and config deleted...]

This seems to be a problem in the original V/386 port.  I'm using
ISC 386/ix (V1.0.6), and have also spent an inordinate amount of
time trying to solve the same problem.  Surely someone out there
is using the same modem for dial-ins and dial-outs for both uucp and
cu (maybe even kermit and others...) under one of the AT&T derived ports.
I'd be interested in hearing from them.  To date I've never been able
to dial in to my V/386 system more than once without resetting the modem.
On my SV/AT system at home, I have no such problem using the tty0/m0/M0
combination to duplicate what should already be built into the ASY
driver under V/386 (according to the docs... see below).

>	command echo off		( ATE0 )
>	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
>	  from remote modem, "on"
>	  condition indicates presence
>	  of a carrier

The software vendor I bought 386/ix from has been trying to track this
problem down with ISC, who has been rather unresponsive to date.  There
are a number of problems which may be either documentation errors
or actual driver problems.  For example, the AT&T _UNIX_System_V/386_
_System_Administrators_Reference_Manual_ man entry for ASY(7) states
"If the port was opened with the modem control bit present...modem
control will be enabled.  If enabled the driver will wait in open until
Data Carrier Detect is present."  This statement is reiterated in
the ISC supplied documentation.  The modem control bit is enabled thus:
"The low-order 4 bits (bits 0-3) of the minor device correspond to the
asynchronous port. Bit 4 enables modem control on the port".  As
supplied by ISC, there is no minor device with bit 4 enabled, so
I tried making one, but the behaviour was identical to that observed
on /dev/tty00.  Interestingly, the cabling suggested from serial
port to modem is not a straight through cable, but as follows:

      modem        computer
        2             2
        3             3
        7             7
      4,5,6,20        8           <======
                    4,5,6,20      <======

According to this, DCD on the modem end is ignored altogether, and
the driver is looking for activity on DSR to indicate a login attempt.
This indicates that someone has hacked up the ASY driver, possibly
breaking it in the attempt.  Randy's experience is so similar
to my own that it appears to be in a common ancestor, i.e. either
ISC or AT&T is responsible.

>	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )
>	  when detecting an on to off
>	  DTR transition. (current settings
>	  are over written with ones in
>	  nvram)

I tried this also, but it appears that once DTR goes low, it stays
that way indefinitely.  My modem doesn't seem to do anything until
it sees DTR high again, so you know what happens then.  This is why
I've never been able to get more than one login through.

>THE PROBLEMS I'M STILL HAVING:
>
>    When I have the getty spawned, it appears that it still talks
>    to the modem incescently.  The tx/rx lights on the front panel
>    of the modem flicker.  The cd (carrier detect) light never comes
>    on.

I've had this problem with both getty and uugetty.  Cu'ing out is
also fun, because you can sometimes get your own login prompt back.
It all gets pretty weird after that.

>    "init: process respawning too rapidly, check for possible errors:
>    /etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400"
uh, huh...

>    The modem does not even answer the phone now, whereas before it used
>    to answer but not talk.  I am getting a new modem (same model) on
>    wednesday, in case due to some chance that I have a hardware problem
>    with the modem.
Something with your modem commands twigged.  Are you using a Packard Bell
modem by any chance?  It's not clear to me from their doc's what commands
are extensions to the Hayes command set. If this is the case, we may
both be seeing the same problem.

>    At this point I'm stuck, I thought that I understood what needed to

You can say that again.

>Randy Menna

mike borza   <nusip@maccs.uucp or antel!mike@maccs.uucp>

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (01/22/89)

Maybe I'm lucky, but all I did with my Mylex '386 and 3.0e was run a
standard AT cable from the 9 pin connector on the comuter into the back
of a Hayes 1200 external modem, copy the 1200 baud section in
/etc/gettydefs to 1200P and set it so that it wraps to itself, (i.e.,
1200P:.....:1200P), make an entry in inittab like so:

m0:23:respawn:/etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 1200P   # For modem on COM1 - incoming

set the modem switches to 3 and 8 down, rest up, and it works fine for
both incoming and outgoing.

Are there lots of people having as little fun as Randy Menna? (:-).

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
Work - 208-526-3523 Home - 208-524-1906 UUCP Path: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave