[comp.unix.microport] Forwarding Mail

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (01/24/89)

My Microport Sys V/AT's mail forwarding is acting a bit strangely.  Since
I'm the sysadm (and only user) of my system, for convenience sake I have
all the standard admin logins' mail forwarded to my own login.  Thus, root's,
croot's, adm's (and the rest's) mailboxes contain "Forward to mylogin".
All works well, except for uucp's mail.

What's strange is that uucp's mailbox (containing the same forwarding
instructions) keeps disappearing.  It'll forward the mail to me ONE DAY,
then stop.  The next time mail is generated, it gets sent to uucp
(generally as output from uucp's administrative demons), it doesn't
get forwarded.  (I'm running the uPort-distributed HDB UUCP.)

Even stranger, the mail from the demons doesn't pile up over several
days, as it ought to; each new day's worth appears to overwrite the
mailbox file--and there's never more than one day's worth there.

I've even gone so far as removing write permissions from that mailbox
file.  This has the same results:  the mail is forwarded the first
day, then the mailbox is gone, then the mail is held for uucp himself,
but only for a day.

Any ideas?
--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

karl@mstar.UUCP (Karl Fox) (01/26/89)

In article <494@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>My Microport Sys V/AT's mail forwarding is acting a bit strangely.
>What's strange is that uucp's mailbox (containing the same forwarding
>instructions) keeps disappearing.

Check your /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean (and maybe other daemons, as
well).  This is what I had to do to fix the same problem with my HDB
uucp:

*** OLDuudemon.clean	Sun Jan  1 22:26:51 1989
--- uudemon.clean	Sun Jan  1 22:27:32 1989
***************
*** 178,182
  #
  #	Dispose of mail to uucp and nuucp
  #
! rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp $TMP

--- 178,182 -----
  #
  #	Dispose of mail to uucp and nuucp
  #
! # rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp $TMP

--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies
osu-cis!mstar!karl or osu-cis!mstar!karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

jim@tiamat.FSC.COM (Jim O'Connor) (01/26/89)

In article <494@fallst.UUCP>, tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

> What's strange is that uucp's mailbox (containing the same forwarding
> instructions) keeps disappearing.  It'll forward the mail to me ONE DAY,
> then stop.  The next time mail is generated, it gets sent to uucp
> (generally as output from uucp's administrative demons), it doesn't
> get forwarded.  (I'm running the uPort-distributed HDB UUCP.)
>
> Even stranger, the mail from the demons doesn't pile up over several
> days, as it ought to; each new day's worth appears to overwrite the
> mailbox file--and there's never more than one day's worth there.
>
> Any ideas?

Could be that /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean is poking around in there
some where.  Maybe even uuclean is doing it, but my man page for uuclean
doesn't mention anything about messing with uucp's mailbox.

I just checked /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean and look what I found:

#	Dispose of mail to uucp and nuucp
#
rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp $TMP

If your uudemon.clean is running daily from root's crontab, then
$MAILDIR/uucp is going to disappear no matter what.  If your using the
mail file to do forwarding, then it should be safe to comment out that
last line.

--jim
James B. O'Connor			jim@FSC.COM
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651