[comp.unix.microport] microport 386 with > 8 megs RAM? Help.

merlin@mic.UUCP (Merlin Wilkerson) (01/23/89)

    I would like to hear from someone running microport 386
with greater than 8 megs of RAM.

    We are using a Wedge Tech 386 with 10-1/2 megs RAM.  Neither
version 2.2L nor 3.0e will boot with more than 8 megs.  I had to go
under 8 to do the installation, modify the value of NBUF in kdef.h,
re-build the kernel, and re-install the memory.

    Just after booting, I get a kernel trap type 0x02.  The same
kernel will boot fine with < 8megs installed.  QAPLUS diagnostics
ran repeated memory test for 36 hours with no errors.  I built
kernels with NBUF = 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000, 500, 100, 50.  All kernel
trap except 50.  The kernel with NBUF = 50 runs.  But 50k buffers
is really slow.

    So If you are running microport 386 with more than 8 megs RAM,  I
would really like to hear from you.

thanks,
merlin          killer!mic!merlin          214-824-4947

lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) (01/25/89)

In article <214@mic.UUCP>, merlin@mic.UUCP (Merlin Wilkerson) writes:

>     I would like to hear from someone running microport 386
> with greater than 8 megs of RAM.

I had the same problem when I put my Compaq up to 16 Megs.
And on a friday nite at 5:00 I was ticked, but Uport came thru and told me to

/etc/patch /unix Nbuf 1024

This will patch the kernel to buffer size of 1meg. You may want to play with
that figure.

Bob

--
Bob Lester KA3ADU                |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!lester
6330 Somerset St.                |           Packet: KA3ADU @ AK3P

betel@swivax.UUCP (Michiel Betel) (01/27/89)

>I had the same problem when I put my Compaq up to 16 Megs.
>And on a friday nite at 5:00 I was ticked, but Uport came thru and told me to
>
>/etc/patch /unix Nbuf 1024
>
>This will patch the kernel to buffer size of 1meg. You may want to play with
>that figure.

AHA, so that does the job, I just tried adding 2 Mb of 16 bits RAM to my
8 Mb Compaq and got the no-booting problem. Called uPort UK, they told me
16 & 32 bit memory don't mix well, which I found strange but well if they
wrote the driver to /dev/mem they should know shouldn't they....

Well, the patch works with 16 bits memory too, a pity I found out so late,
I just ordered a 4 Meg compaq expamsion module.

Michiel