[comp.unix.microport] Proposal -- comp.unix.i386

No fancy stuff, this time. 90% of the stuff in comp.unix.xenix these days
seems to be related to System V/386 and relatives. Since even SCO is going
to be dropping the Xenix name from this offering, I'd like to propose that
a new group be created to suck up the 386 chatter.

No fancy stuff. No old groups going away. comp.unix.xenix and .microport
are perfectly good for dealing with the two main branches of 286 unix, and
the Tandy 6000 people. Just a new comp.unix.i386.

Voting starts February 1st, and continues to March 2nd. Votes received before
and after this period will be ignored. I'm not going to pay any attention
to naming or hierarchy suggestions unless there seems to be a consensus that
sysv386 or sysv.386 or whatever is unequivocally superior.

This one is gonna be by the book.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (01/25/89)

publically state my opinion of the proposal for a comp.unix.i386 group:

		* * * *		I Am For It.		* * * *

I have 200 addressses on my mailing list, with about 20 addresses that flit
in and out of existence from one month to the next.  (A different 20 each
month, of course).

I have suggested a comp.unix.i386 group twice in this forum (news.groups),
and have watched others suggest it at least two other times.  I have virtually
no hope that the group will be created this time, but I would be very happy to
be surprised.

When I put this question to my 200 subscribers and asked for opinions, with
silence implying agreement, about five people, mostly overseas, said that they
didn't get Usenet and that they hoped I would forward the traffic for them. I
promised that I would do this.  Therefore we have approximately 195 "yes" votes
for the comp.unix.i386 group, though for the sake of measurement error I will
knock it down to 100.

Other than this message and response to specific replies to its content, I
refuse to discuss the creation of comp.unix.i386.  Don't send me mail, I
won't read it.  I am a passive observer to this process; mail regarding the
vote should be sent to Peter da Silva, <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (01/26/89)

In article <2850@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>No fancy stuff, this time. 90% of the stuff in comp.unix.xenix these days
>seems to be related to System V/386 and relatives. Since even SCO is going
>to be dropping the Xenix name from this offering, I'd like to propose that
>a new group be created to suck up the 386 chatter.
>
>No fancy stuff. No old groups going away. comp.unix.xenix and .microport
>are perfectly good for dealing with the two main branches of 286 unix, and
>the Tandy 6000 people. Just a new comp.unix.i386.

Great! I've been looking for an unmoderated forum where Sun386i users
can discuss their problems, and talk about how glad they are that
there's finally a 386 machine running BSD.

Also, I'm sure the folks with the new Sequent machines would have a
few comments to throw in from time to time, cross-posted to comp.sys.sequent,
naturally.

Care to give that name a little more thought, Peter?

>Voting starts February 1st, and continues to March 2nd. Votes received before
>and after this period will be ignored. I'm not going to pay any attention
>to naming or hierarchy suggestions unless there seems to be a consensus that
>sysv386 or sysv.386 or whatever is unequivocally superior.
>
>This one is gonna be by the book.

Right. So we're going to have the 30-day discussion period between now
and Feb. 1, is that it? Which book was that?

Sarcasm aside, unless you want this group to be a forum for discussion
of *all* 386-based Unix machines, I'd suggest finding some other name.
If you don't mind the Roadrunner folks dropping in, I retract the
suggestion and would welcome the group.

May Klortho Bless and Protect You,
Dave Mack

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/26/89)

In article <VIXIE.89Jan25002308@bacchus.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>publically state my opinion of the proposal for a comp.unix.i386 group:

>		* * * *		I Am For It.		* * * *

At this rate we're gonna rate a few new chapters in the UseNet history as
the group most asked for but settled for something else :-)

I'll go on record (again) as a firm supporter/suggester of this group. I was
for it a year and a half ago when when it was first suggested, I'm still for
it, and I hope that I won't have to be for it a year from now.

Please, let's just get it done with. We need one group to collect the
postings for 386 based unix ramblings.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

[description of System V/386 group deleted]

In article <4379@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes a rather nasty
response to my proposal.

  [ sarcastic comments about exotic 386-based boxes ]

> Care to give that name a little more thought, Peter?

Sure. I don't care what it's called, but since the naming question trashed
the last two discussions I'd rather sit back and wait for a consensus, as
I say here...

> >Voting starts February 1st, and continues to March 2nd. Votes received before
> >and after this period will be ignored. I'm not going to pay any attention
> >to naming or hierarchy suggestions unless there seems to be a consensus that
> >sysv386 or sysv.386 or whatever is unequivocally superior.

> >This one is gonna be by the book.

> Right. So we're going to have the 30-day discussion period between now
> and Feb. 1, is that it? Which book was that?

The last time I checked the book it was a 7-day discussion period, but
if it's been changed I am quite willing to move the voting period up to
the month of March.

> Sarcasm aside,

Right...

> unless you want this group to be a forum for discussion
> of *all* 386-based Unix machines, I'd suggest finding some other name.

Fine. Suggest a name that is unequivocally superior and get people to
agree on it. I don't care. I just want to count the votes.

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/27/89)

In article <2850@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>No fancy stuff, this time. 90% of the stuff in comp.unix.xenix these days
>seems to be related to System V/386 and relatives. Since even SCO is going
>to be dropping the Xenix name from this offering, I'd like to propose that
>a new group be created to suck up the 386 chatter.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	I presume that you have a 286, and just want to "get rid" of the 386
articles in this group by creating a group to dump all 386 talk into.
I have a microport 386 system, and I don't want to read articles about
Xenix/Suns/Etc that happen to be running the same processer.

>No fancy stuff. No old groups going away. comp.unix.xenix and .microport
>are perfectly good for dealing with the two main branches of 286 unix, and
>the Tandy 6000 people. Just a new comp.unix.i386.

	Why not comp.unix.microport.286  & comp.unix.microport.386?
(or a better, shorter name: comp.unix.uport.286 & 386)

  I too, would like to get rid of all the 286 chatter from comp.unix.microport!
I don't have a 286 and don't need to hear about people fighting segment problems
with all those programs out there that assume that everything is a VAX.

	But then, didn't this all get hashed out here just a short time ago?

	-Chert Pellett
	 root@spdyne

Sanity check: Core dumped.

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (01/27/89)

-
-> unless you want this group to be a forum for discussion
-> of *all* 386-based Unix machines, I'd suggest finding some other name.
-
-Fine. Suggest a name that is unequivocally superior and get people to
-agree on it. I don't care. I just want to count the votes.

	Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing information about the other
386 based Unix's. Comp.unix.xenix has a nice smattering of postings
about the various Xenix's ( eg. Tandy 6000, IBM PC-Clone, Altos ), so
what would be wrong with comp.unix.i386 supporting all 386 based Unix's?

	It would be nice to have just one group to read for information
about 386 based Unix's, instead of having to read both
comp.unix.microport and comp.unix.xenix, plus several other possibly
useful groups.

	just my two bits....
	Eric
--
Eric Schnoebelen
egsner!eric@texbell.uucp			...!texbell!egsner!eric

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/28/89)

In article <2175@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
: Please, let's just get it done with. We need one group to collect the
: postings for 386 based unix ramblings.

Agreed.

Though I have no experience with 286 based UNIX's, it is clear from
the contents of comp.unix.microport that their characteristics are
quite a bit different from 386 UNIX's.  And since the group has a
reasonably high volume, with both systems having significant
representation, it makes sense to somehow separate off one or the
other.

After the fiasco of trying to rationalize the newsgroups for these,
it does not make sense to try to get it perfect; it is enough just to
make it better.

Oh yes, this sort of discussion belongs only in news.groups.
Follow-ups have been redirected there, please respect this.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) (01/29/89)

In article <2892@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>[description of System V/386 group deleted]
>
>In article <4379@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes a rather nasty
>response to my proposal.

I suppose I should have thrown in a few smileys. I didn't think they were
necessary. It was clear from your message that (as you indicate in the elision
above) the group you are proposing would focus on System V and Xenix 386
systems. I was simply trying to point out that not all the world is SysV
and Xenix, nor are all 386 boxes PC clones.

>> Care to give that name a little more thought, Peter?
>
>Sure. I don't care what it's called, but since the naming question trashed
>the last two discussions I'd rather sit back and wait for a consensus, as
>I say here...

And you proposed the same name as the last few times? Interesting.

>> >Voting starts February 1st, and continues to March 2nd. Votes received before
>> >and after this period will be ignored. I'm not going to pay any attention
>> >to naming or hierarchy suggestions unless there seems to be a consensus that
>> >sysv386 or sysv.386 or whatever is unequivocally superior.
>
>> >This one is gonna be by the book.
>
>> Right. So we're going to have the 30-day discussion period between now
>> and Feb. 1, is that it? Which book was that?
>
>The last time I checked the book it was a 7-day discussion period, but
>if it's been changed I am quite willing to move the voting period up to
>the month of March.

Your book is obsolete. The 30-day voting period is called for in
the new users documentation Gene Spafford posts every month or so.
Although, given the increasing prevalence of NNTP links, maybe
this should be reduced.

>> unless you want this group to be a forum for discussion
>> of *all* 386-based Unix machines, I'd suggest finding some other name.
>
>Fine. Suggest a name that is unequivocally superior and get people to
>agree on it. I don't care. I just want to count the votes.

OK, no problem.

Dave Mack