[comp.unix.microport] The demise of Microport!

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (01/29/89)

In article <11613@reed.UUCP>, keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
> Before I start my flame, let my answer your question:
>
> The 800 number for uP won't be online until Feb 2~3.  According to uP, AT&T
> says they have to completely rebuild the circuit(s) and (I'm assuming--) were
> not informed in adequate time.  So you just have to use the +1 408 438-8649
> number.  I attack dial it (a lot lately, see below) and get through in about
> 10 minutes.

HIGH POWER PLASMA TORCH ON ===========+++++++

 Hello to all but Uport for now, since I know they can't be listining if they
don't have a phone to talk to customers (much less get usenet, but then maby
that is more important!). I am glad you have gotten ahold of somebody on the
438-8649 number, as I have called in many times and NEVER get an answer, it
just keeps on ringing! One time I did get an answer, but was very suprised
that it was answered by a modem, and I wasn't at a location where I happend
to have a modem avalible at that moment! (That is a hell of a thing to have
answering a customer line). I also when near my modems figured as an alternate
route I would attempt to call the BBS they have online and leave a message
for somebody to PLEASE call me, but when I called the (non-800) BBS number I
recieved a mesage saying that they were disconnected and there was no new
number to call...

> A uP credit memo was issued on 11-14-88.  "Ok, that's cool," I says to myself.
> They're just doing the paperwork thing, and will send out my check RSN.  I
> called Brian back sometime in the middle of December, thinking I'd have a
> little extra Christmas spending money RSN.  "Gee, you want a R.E.F.U.N.D?"

 Well I had the same thing happen, infact I had to return an entire unlimited
V/386 3.0e (and DOS/Merge) package since it would not work with a customers
machine since the drive was to big. I wrote on the returned invoice IN BIG
LETTERS, that I wanted a CASH REFUND, yet still only recieved credit memo. All
I can say is I am totally PISSED about this, and the fact there is no way
to get ahold of the company has me double steamed!! I am several others will
probably be forced to change to a different UNIX vendor if they don't get there
act togeather NOW, as I am not going to risk my own buisness becase they
decided to screw there company up!

> Well they are, rattling around in their new 300,000 square foot building
> with no one able to call them (companies go out of business for less) and they
> can't pay my bill ("...he thinks to himself: 'any bills?' ")

 I don't know if they realize (or even care!) it, but with the course of action
they have taken I can assure them will hurt the company, if not run them out
of buisness (any other companys that use Uport care to share your feelings on
this one ?) even when they get the phones working...

> So I called them yesterday, advised the receptionist (the only one I could
> talk to, as she didn't know who possibly could help me) that I had had enough,
> and that if I didn't hear from anyone in 24 hours I'd be left with no choice
> but to turn it over to the USPS for investigation.
>
> Time's up.  Too bad I didn't buy it on my Bank card, I could reverse the
> payment without any arguments.  So it goes.

 Please let me know what this action does for you, so I know if it is a viable
alternative to take if necessary!!

PLASMA TORCH OFF=-

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	P. O. Box 171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171