[comp.unix.microport] WD1006 1:1 disk controller

hsu@kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) (01/29/89)

Environment:

Logi 386 tower (singapore I think)
Award 3.03a bios
CDC 23ms 71M disk
ST4096 80M disk
Microport 2.2L Dosmerge 0.2 beta
Problem:

Disk controller hangs up. Usually on 4096, just few times on CDC.

Checked already:

Cables and 4096 switched two times.  CDC doesn't usually hang unless
wery seldom after 4096 has been accessed just before.
Diagnostics program doesn't find anything strange.

Thoughts:

Has anyone else tried 1006 with microport? Any similar experiences?

Might be bad controller?

Would be nice if it worked, it really speeds it up, emacs loads in 10
secs instead of 40 with 1003.

-------

Keyboard locks up only when using merge kernel, replug cures but is
extremely annoying.

Mail, please.

dyson@inuxh.UUCP (John Dyson) (01/30/89)

I am currently using a WD1006RAH, but have used WD1006WAH since v2.2 386
microport unix.  Have had no problems disk controller related.  Only had
floating point lockup on v2.2.  My system is a compaq-286/12 with
an Intel Inboard 386 running at 16MHZ, with cache enabled.  Using
an Arnet board for remote terminals.  I believe that my system would
be a near worst case for compatibility, but the WD disk controller
boards have been the least of my problems.

John
att!inuxh!dyson

In article <19119@santra.UUCP> hsu@kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:
>Environment:
>
>Logi 386 tower (singapore I think)
>Award 3.03a bios
>CDC 23ms 71M disk
>ST4096 80M disk
>Microport 2.2L Dosmerge 0.2 beta
>Problem:
>
>Disk controller hangs up. Usually on 4096, just few times on CDC.

Which WD1006 -- WD1006-WAH or WD1006-V/SR2?

>Checked already:
>
>Cables and 4096 switched two times.  CDC doesn't usually hang unless
>wery seldom after 4096 has been accessed just before.
>
>Diagnostics program doesn't find anything strange.

Not surprising the diags pass...

>Thoughts:
>
>Has anyone else tried 1006 with microport? Any similar experiences?

Nope, but I can tell you the WD1006-V/SR2 works flawlessly with:
	o Microport SV/AT
	o Interactive 386/ix V2.0 (but their install is BROKEN so be careful!)
	o SCO Xenix V/386 and Xenix V/286.
	o DOS (of course)

>Might be bad controller?

Perhaps....

>Would be nice if it worked, it really speeds it up, emacs loads in 10
>secs instead of 40 with 1003.

No kidding -- we get 400% speed improvements with these boards; ESPECIALLY
the /VSR2 type (RLL); they're really nice!

>Keyboard locks up only when using merge kernel, replug cures but is
>extremely annoying.

Perhaps the entire kernel is dying with the Merge system loaded; do you
have the same lockup problem on the drives if you run a non-merge kernel?

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"