[comp.unix.microport] 386 Xenix 2.2.1 -> 2.3.1 and VP/IX. New question.

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (02/02/89)

In article <203@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>1) Does anybody know whether it is possible to upgrade a 2.2.1 386
>Xenix system to 2.3.1 without having to do a full install?
>(Compaq 386 if it matters)
>
>2) will the old VP/IX (1.0.4 - "controlled release" I think) work with
>the new kernel?

Well, thanks to all those who wrote and posted - I ended up reinstalling
from scratch - seemed safer - I've gone thru too many brain-dead update
procedures before.

Everything works absolutely perfectly.  The new system seems to work
much better.   As it turns out, we did have the new VP/IX, so the
second question I asked was unneccessary.

However, we've run into something we're stuck with.  The new VP/IX
doesn't seem to work with the Computone hardware/drivers anymore.
VP/IX V1.1, Computone Advantage-8 serial boards with revision 4.00 drivers.
We get "Can't set INTTYPE" messages followed by "Can't set scanmode".
Which, of course seems to indicate that the drivers don't have proper
VP/ix support - they did with the previous version of VP/IX.

I didn't do the initial computone install, but I did the install today with the
new VP/IX, and answered "yes" when it asked me whether I had VP/ix.

These boards are popular, but SCO insists that there are no known problems
w.r.t. 1.1 VP/IX.  Our local Computone distributor insists that 4.00 is
the latest revision and they haven't heard of any problems either.  Right.
No problems?  Hah.  For one thing, the "easy install" thing doesn't
recognize the new /etc/init /etc/rc stuff in 2.3.1, and completely forgets
to install the boot-time initialization of the boards (/etc/ic_init -reset).

Any ideas?
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis