[comp.unix.microport] 386 Xenix 2.2.1 -> 2.3.1 and VP/IX.

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (01/28/89)

1) Does anybody know whether it is possible to upgrade a 2.2.1 386
Xenix system to 2.3.1 without having to do a full install?
(Compaq 386 if it matters)

2) will the old VP/IX (1.0.4 - "controlled release" I think) work with
the new kernel?

3) Any problems with Xenix 2.3.1 and WD1007-? ESDI controllers?

Tanks muchly.  G'nite.
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

root@johncon.UUCP (Admin) (01/29/89)

In article <203@ecicrl.UUCP>, clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
> 1) Does anybody know whether it is possible to upgrade a 2.2.1 386
> Xenix system to 2.3.1 without having to do a full install?
> (Compaq 386 if it matters)

The docs for 2.3.1 say you can (chapter 3, Installation Guide),
but I have not tried it ... the C compiler for 2.3.1 is still the
version 2.2.

> 2) will the old VP/IX (1.0.4 - "controlled release" I think) work with
> the new kernel?

Don't know, but many improvements have been made to the new release,
still some nagging problems, though.

> 3) Any problems with Xenix 2.3.1 and WD1007-? ESDI controllers?

I use an AST model 390, 90 Mbyte CDC hard disk with ESDI, but don't
know if it is WD though (it came with the machine) ... seems to work fine.

	John,
	..uunet!smosjc!john

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (01/31/89)

> In article <203@ecicrl.UUCP>, clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>> 1) Does anybody know whether it is possible to upgrade a 2.2.1 386
>> Xenix system to 2.3.1 without having to do a full install?
>> (Compaq 386 if it matters)

NO!!!!!! IT DOESN'T QUITE WORK.
I tried it, Apparently the DOCS are wrong.
I called SCO and they said that only 2.2.3 and above will upgrade properly!!!
--
Jim Morris.         			 morris@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!morris
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (02/01/89)

According to clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis):
>Any problems with Xenix 2.3.1 and WD1007-? ESDI controllers?

Not here.  We (A T Engineering) have been installing Everex Step 20 machines
with WD1007 ESDI controllers and CDC drives.  Nary a hiccup (so far :-)).
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (02/02/89)

In article <mumble>, smosjc!john wrote (about SCO XENIX):

 ... the C compiler for 2.3.1 is still the version 2.2.

The new 2.3 Development System from SCO is now shipping with
complete XENIX systems, or it is available separately.  There
will be an upgrade deal soon (if not already).

Disclaimer: They dont know I said this.

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (02/03/89)

Quoth chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) in <1989Jan31.161458.19124@ateng.ateng.com>:
|According to clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis):
|>Any problems with Xenix 2.3.1 and WD1007-? ESDI controllers?
|
|Not here.  We (A T Engineering) have been installing Everex Step 20 machines
|with WD1007 ESDI controllers and CDC drives.  Nary a hiccup (so far :-)).

Chip, are you installing tape drives with those?  I just received the latest
rev controller chip for my Wyse-supplied WD 1007, which in earlier revs was
known by Wyse to be incompatible with the Wangtech tape drive controller they
also supplied, and was supposed to be compatible in this rev.  Unfortunately,
it is displaying some of the same behavior (hangs while doing a bad block
check using Wyse's DOS SETUP program... also used to hang while initializing,
when I saw it hang during disk check, I decided not to try that one, and
just kept the old low-level format I had done with the Wangtech card removed)
the old rev displayed.

I just received the latest rev of the motherboard and daughterboard, too...
I'm getting a little frustrated, to put it mildly.  So far, the reinstallation
of Xenix is going okay, but I hope I don't have to go through this again...

--
"Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance.  It's the thing that makes
 America great.  If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we