[comp.unix.microport] Pathalias failing on Sys V/AT with much input

johnk@grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) (02/08/89)

Microport talks a lot in their manuals about special consideration
for the 286's special hardware; they talk about not making assumptions
concerning contiguity of memory acquired by _malloc_.  They talk about
not using _sbreak_, etc.

Does the pathalias source, as distributed, contain any calls that would
upset the System V/AT way of doing things?

When I run pathalias with more than a trivial number of files as input,
I get the message:

	pathalias: Out of memory (-88473600k allocated)
	pathalias: cannot recover!

Does this happen with other users?

Originally I got this error when processing a much smaller number of
input files, but after recompiling with the large model, I was able
to add more input, but not much more.

Please email any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

John

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/09/89)

In article <11802@grebyn.COM>, johnk@grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
> Microport talks a lot in their manuals about special consideration
> for the 286's special hardware; they talk about not making assumptions
> concerning contiguity of memory acquired by _malloc_.  They talk about
> not using _sbreak_, etc.

> Does the pathalias source, as distributed, contain any calls that would
> upset the System V/AT way of doing things?

That's right.  Pathalias needs a lot of memory and expects it to be contiguous.
steve@nuchat was running it on a 286 with, I think, some hacks he did to
implement quasi-virtual memory through the disk.  It took like eight hours
to run the maps for North America alone.

A 386 can handle the job, no problem.  'sugar' can crunch the maps in about
five minutes...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Everyone has a purpose in life.  Perhaps yours is
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  watching television."  -- David Letterman

bob@obiwan.UUCP (Bob Willcox) (02/10/89)

In article <3404@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <11802@grebyn.COM>, johnk@grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>> Does the pathalias source, as distributed, contain any calls that would
>> upset the System V/AT way of doing things?
>
>That's right.  Pathalias needs a lot of memory and expects it to be contiguous.
>steve@nuchat was running it on a 286 with, I think, some hacks he did to
>implement quasi-virtual memory through the disk.  It took like eight hours
>to run the maps for North America alone.
>
>A 386 can handle the job, no problem.  'sugar' can crunch the maps in about
>five minutes...

I am running a hacked-up pathalias on my 286 which I run regularly to
build the entire world maps.  It takes some-what more than 1 meg of
memory to run, but runs in about 10 minutes (on a 10mhz AT clone).  It
is based upon a copy of version 9.1 of pathalias that was ported to
Xenix by Greg Laskin.  I, in turn, ported it to Microport System V/AT.
It is kind of a hack, but if you have enough memory seems to run fine.

--
Bob Willcox                 ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!obiwan!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224