[comp.unix.microport] Two Drive Bug

mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (02/10/89)

I have been plagued with errors like:

	HD Error on drv 1 cyl %d head %d sec %d, ID not found

for the past couple of days. This is reminicant of the 2.3 two
drive bug. I get the above error on the console, and the machine
goes out to lunch. It continues to spit out the error until I
reboot.

The first time this happened, I thought that it might actually
be real. I backed up the second hard disk, performed a low level
format and ran SpeedStor on it to locate any bad places. I let
the SpeedStor run overnight, and it only found the tracks listed
on the top of the drive. I reinstalled everything back on the
second drive and ran fine for a few more days.

Then it happens again. I am not going to duplicate the low level format
effort again, as this is definately not the problem. The controller
works, the drive works.

Has anyone else had this problem (and possibly a solution for it--besides
buy SCO). I thought that Microport had fixed the two drive bug, but now
I am not so sure.

--
Mike Mitchell				BELL:	(505) 471-7639
2020 Calle Lorca #43			ARPA:	mdm@cocktrice.UUCP

learn@igloo.Scum.COM (william vajk) (02/11/89)

In article <401@cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm@cocktrice.UUCP writes:
> I have been plagued with errors like:

> 	HD Error on drv 1 cyl %d head %d sec %d, ID not found

> for the past couple of days. This is reminicant of the 2.3 two
> drive bug. I get the above error on the console, and the machine
> goes out to lunch. It continues to spit out the error until I
> reboot.

> Has anyone else had this problem (and possibly a solution for it--besides
> buy SCO). I thought that Microport had fixed the two drive bug, but now
> I am not so sure.

 It is happening here with alarming frequency with a decreasing spiral
 in the timing. Also, the system is now trashing files on drive 0
 too.

Bill Vajk                     | A person of quality is never intimidated.
learn@igloo                   |

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/12/89)

In article <401@cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm@cocktrice.UUCP writes:
> I have been plagued with errors like:
>
> 	HD Error on drv 1 cyl %d head %d sec %d, ID not found
>
> Has anyone else had this problem (and possibly a solution for it--besides
> buy SCO). I thought that Microport had fixed the two drive bug, but now
> I am not so sure.

     I ran 2.3 for quite a while and would get the HD errors anytime I
  had heavy activity on both drives. It was for this reason that I
  resisted putting my /usr/spool directory on the second drive. One
  sure way to reproduce the bug was to do cpio's > /dev/null on both
  drives simultaneously.

     Upon installing 2.4U I exercised the drives quite heavily to get
  a feel for wether the drive bug was fixed or not. I ran everything I
  could think of including several simultaneous cpio's. I could not
  reproduce the drive bug and was confident it was fixed. I'm using
  two 28ms access drives (1-Miniscribe, 1-CDC). The errors you describe
  above are not common.

					John

> --
> Mike Mitchell				BELL:	(505) 471-7639
> 2020 Calle Lorca #43			ARPA:	mdm@cocktrice.UUCP
> Santa Fe, NM 87505			UUCP:	...!uunet!dmk3b1!cocktrice!mdm

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net