[comp.unix.microport] Making a makefile from within make

" Maynard) (02/10/89)

I'm trying to install B news version 3, patchlevel 6 (I'm a beta tester,
supposedly, but I've never been able to get the stuff to compile) under
System V/AT. I just installed version 2.4 of the software development
stuff in order to fix this problem, but no soap.

The situation:
The configuration stuff builds a copule of shell scripts and a couple of
header files. You then issue a "make -f Makefile.dst firstmake" command
to build the makefiles with all the variables set. The firstmake section
reads:

# On the first make, generate Makefile once just to set $(DIRLIST) properly,
# then force a re-generation so GenerateMake will attach correct prefixes
firstmake:
	./GenerateMake; touch Makefile.dst;
	make makefiles

And the makefiles section:

makefiles:
	make Makefile
	for x in $(DIRLIST); do (cd $$x; echo "$$x:"; $(MAKE) -f Makefile.dst Makefile); done

Makefile: Makefile.dst
	$(MAINDIR)/GenerateMake $(DIRLIST)

The "make makefiles" statement blows up with a "termination code 139".
HELP!!!

No, I don't have Microport's $149 "support" contract, so I haven't tried
calling them with this one.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (02/12/89)

In <846@splut.uucp>, jay@splut.UUCP (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> I'm trying to install B news version 3, patchlevel 6 (I'm a beta tester,
> supposedly, but I've never been able to get the stuff to compile) under
> System V/AT. I just installed version 2.4 of the software development
> stuff in order to fix this problem, but no soap.

I wrote the code. It compiles and makes OK under Microport V/386 -- that's
what my development box runs. Anybody know what his make termination code 139
means?
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (02/13/89)

:
: I wrote the code. It compiles and makes OK under Microport V/386 -- that's
: what my development box runs. Anybody know what his make termination code 139
: means?

Probably a segment violation, as in 128, a bit meaning "core dumped"
to the wait(2) function, + 11, the signal number for segment
violation.

Sounds like a bug in the make, though it is possible that a process
called by make died and make just passed the return code along.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

doug@feedme.UUCP (Doug Salot) (02/14/89)

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>Anybody know what his make termination code 139
>means?

It's the signal number + 128 = segmentation violation.
--
Doug Salot || doug@feedme.UUCP || ...{zardoz,dhw68k}!feedme!doug