[comp.unix.microport] Replacing 286 with 386SX drop in board

cab@opus.ATT.COM (C. Anthony) (02/11/89)

	For many reasons, I need to run REAL software, the kind
that lets you use huge data structures with out diddling segment
registers or constructing data structures to hide hardware/software
inadequacies.  Typical applications are digital processing of
sampled sounds and computer graphics.  I have a '286 that
runs the UNIX(tm) system and DOS via the UNIX-reboot-DOS-reboot
task switching mechanism :-).  I've used microport SV/AT up to
release 2.4 alternately patching the system, developing, phoning
to ask "is it fixed yet?" and keeping an eye out for a 386 upgrade
method that doesn't involve a motherboard swap or an INBOARD/AT
which wouldn't work in my system.  I've shaken too many bugs
out of the system, timing wise, interrupt wise, software wise, memory
wise, powerwise and other wise to junk the development/testing
environment it constitues for a complete unknown.  So I am looking
for the most non-intrusive way to upgrade.

	Has anyone seen, or is anyone working on a 386SX cum bus interface
that can replace a 286 cpu.  Will it work with a '287.  email
or post.  will summarize if requested.

regards
--
          -CAB-
   _____/ _ || _\___

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (02/12/89)

I've seen press releases from two companies selling 386SX daughterboards:
Cumulus Corp. (216-464-2211), and AOX: 617-890-4402.  Haven't heard about
a ship date from AOX, but Cumulus claims to be shipping the end of February.

I also have a friend who works for Hamilton Avnet who claims that she can
get 386SX d.boards; I thought she said they were direct from Intel.  I'll
find out about this next week.

In any event: Intel just cust the price of the 386SX in half, to (as I
recall) $89 in quantity.  This should cut the total price of a 286-to-386SX
upgrade to about $350-$400, I think.  Since my company sells an 80386 version
of C++, this is a big win for us; we're considering some sort of deal
bundling a 386SX board with our compiler.

I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned companies.
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (02/17/89)

In article <390@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:

 > ...  Since my company sells an 80386 version
 >of C++, this is a big win for us; we're considering some sort of deal
 >bundling a 386SX board with our compiler.
 >
 >I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned companies.

Don't tell your personel department...  ;-)

   __                     _ _ _              David Messer - Lynx Data Systems
  /  )              /    ' ) ) )                 dave@Lynx.MN.Org  -or-
 /  / __. , __o  __/      / / / _  _   _   _  __     ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!